Friday, August 9, 2013

My Accidental Baby

Tuesday was a work day for me, the kids were home with our awesome friend and babysitter Erin.  I had to run an errand on the way home, so I thought, "I'll take that old fabric travel crate to Natalie's on my way.  If I go without the kids, I won't come home with a dog!"

Famous. Last. Words.

I was on the phone with Amanda when I rolled up.  Got the crate out and tried the door.  Locked.  Tried the other two doors.  Locked and locked.  The sign said "open" but they weren't.  I put the crate outside the door, and walked back to my car as another car pulled in.  Two women got out with a cute little puppy.  They started trying the doors and peeking in the windows, looking a little desperate.

"Amanda, I'm going to have to call you back.  I think I'm about to get a dog."

I got out and asked them if they were there to surrender that cute widdle baby puppy wuppy.  They said that they were social workers and that he'd belonged to a client.  Social worker #1 had 5 dogs and 2 cats, and social worker #2 had 5 cats and 2 dogs.  "We just don't know what we're going to do!  We can't take him home!" they said.  They explained that their client was planning to put him in the paper for free, and they were afraid he'd end up a bait dog.

I asked if anything was wrong with him, and why the former owner wanted to get rid of him.  "No, he's a great little dog.  She's just that way, she's done this before," they explained.  "His name is Max."

Game over.

"We just don't know what we're going to do!" they were practically in tears.

"I'm going to go get that crate I just donated," I said, resigned, "and you're going to put him in my car."  We exchanged phone numbers and hugs, and they assured me that it was fate that we happened to be there at the same time.

I called BJ on the way home and said, "You're not going to believe what I just did."  He wasn't even mad.  I guess 16 years with me have worn him down to the point where he just rolls with all the crazy.

Wednesday I took Sheldon (we couldn't call him Max.  In this life you only get one Max) to the vet.  He was pronounced healthy, except for a case of fleas (and let me tell you, if vacuuming were an Olympic event, I would've won the gold after they called and told me that!).  They think he's an Australian Shepherd mix.  He's cute as a bug.  He has a sweet little personality, and even seems to be house trained.

I had him neutered and he did just fine, but now he has to be kept quiet.  We're dog-sitting for my friend Kaity, so right now I have three dogs (one who has to be kept quiet), which is a little nuts.  But they're good dogs.  It's kind of fun.  (Don't worry, Honey, I won't get a third dog!)

Oh, and the "free" dog has cost $600 so far.  

So, between the new house (which we're still unpacking), the old house (which we got ready for our tenants with 30 whole minutes to spare), the new dog, the old dog, and back to school...  Well, that's where I've been.

No comments: