Wednesday, August 27, 2008

WFMW: Ice Cream without Drips


I wish I had a picture of this, but I am NOT waking the kids up at midnight to give them ice cream, take a picture, and put them back to bed, so you're just going to have to visualize with me...

I got some sugar cones at the grocery store for MG. Claire wanted one just like sister, because goodness knows she has to do everything that sister does, and I couldn't figure out how I was going to manage a 1-1/2 year old with an ice cream cone. I considered stripping her naked and giving it to her outside, but that seemed extreme.

We had some plastic party cups, you know, the ones that hold about 12 ounces of soda, leftover from MG's birthday party, so I stood the cone up inside the cup. The drips went into the cup, the ice cream went (mostly) into her mouth. Bonus - she can hold the cup and not crush the cone.

Next time we had ice cream cones, I did the same for MG, even though she's 3. That way I didn't have to steal her cone every 11 seconds to lick off the drips for her.

So, if you want to lick your kids' drips, don't use this tip, but if you would rather eat your *own* ice cream, try standing their cone up inside a plastic party cup, and let the good times roll!

Visit Shannon at Rocks in my Dryer for more WFMW tips!

2 comments:

Honey Mommy said...

That is brilliant!

I have a two year old and he is still figuring out the concept of licking ice cream. This way we could have cones without it getting all over!

Thanks!

Audra Krell said...

Nice tip, I'll have to try it with my nieces and nephews. As they get older, drop a mini marshmellow into the tip of the sugar cone, it keeps it from dripping out the bottom!