Sunday, January 20, 2013

Muddy Puppy

I let the dog out to enjoy the warm weather for a little while yesterday, and when I let her back in she was completely covered in mud.  I mean, covered.  I had anticipated this problem, and I brought a wet towel with me to the back door and attempted to clean her up, but it was too much mud for the towel I brought, and she quickly broke free of my grasp to run around the house, trailing mud EVERYWHERE.

Jen was here, and we hollered for BJ and took her into the bathroom where we gave her a bath.  Penny did a pretty good job of holding still, although she did drench me by trying to jump out a time or two.  BJ finally came downstairs to help - little did I know that he was on the phone with an important new client while I was screaming for him.  Whoops.  (Who makes important work calls at 6 pm on a Saturday night?)  I didn't have any dog shampoo handy so I used the kids' Suave 3-in-1 shampoo/conditioner/body wash (green apple scent).  The water coming off of her in the tub as I sprayed her with the hand-held shower head was so muddy that it looked like coffee.

I finally managed to get her clean, dried her off a little with a towel, and let her go in the house.  Big mistake.  She went and jumped directly onto my bed to lick her wounds.

The good news, though, was that Jen and I got to go out for dinner and beers to celebrate our victory over mud and 23 years of being Lucy and Ethyl, and Penny's fur feels exceptionally silky today.

No comments: