Friday, November 4, 2011

I Need To Be More Specific

I had just ended a call with my friend Colleen, mother of 5, because I needed to locate Mary Grace.  I was pretty sure that she had taken the dog for a walk down to Grandpa's house, as I had instructed, but since she had been gone half an hour and I hadn't heard from her, Grandpa, or the dog, I figured I'd better look into it.  Meanwhile, Claire and Jack were playing in the living room.

When you talk to another mom, you expect to have the conversation interrupted, on both ends, by directions and redirections for the kids.  It just happens.  Small people can't be left unsupervised for more than 3 seconds at a time, and something about Mom being on the phone makes them (or at least mine) lose their tiny minds.

When my dad answered, I asked, "Is that Mary Grace I hear in the background?"

"No, that's Penny," Dad said, and I let go of the breath I had unconsciously started to hold.

"Ok, I just wanted to check, since I hadn't heard anything," I said, as I noticed Claire doing the potty dance.  I didn't even pause as I told her to "GO TO THE BATHROOM RIGHT NOW."

"Right here in the kitchen?" Dad replied.

LOL, Dad, LOL.

No comments: