Monday, June 4, 2007

It just doesn't get any better than this...

So, at our local Barnes & Noble there's a train set that MG just loves. We were there today looking for a birthday present for Daddy, and Mommy was ready to leave. After more than enough "C'mon honey, let's go"s, I pulled the good old, "Ok, I'm going, with or without you. Buh-bye," Mom trick.

She wasn't buying it. My tot, who is afraid of, in no particular order:
loud trucks
baths
rain
Thomas the Tank Engine, the television show
the dryer

is, apparently, not afraid of being abandoned 4 miles from home, as long as there are toys. Frankly, I can't blame her. If I'm going to be marooned, B&N is pretty high on my list of places to be. After all, there are books AND there's a Starbucks. I digress...

There was a German Baptist (you can tell by the hats) family there, homeschooling. I see them there pretty often, actually. They were sitting in a right triangle to MG and me - the hypotenuse was between MG and I, the legs of the triangle going from MG to the Baptists, and from the Baptists to me.

So, I stood watching her between the shelves, where she couldn't see me. She continued to play for a moment, and then I heard, "I stink! I stink again!! I poop in my pants!!!! I pooping in my pants right now!!!!!!"

As if this wasn't bad enough, she said it while running purposefully toward the (now horrified) German Baptists who, probably, aren't even allowed to hear the word poop.

I did the only thing I could think of. I ran up the other leg of the triangle, headed her off before she got to the Baptists, and said, loudly, "NO ONE wants to hear about that but me, let's go!" and bugged out of there.

The irony is that her pants weren't even dirty! She was just trying to humiliate me.

*sigh*

No comments: