Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Third Trip in 10 Months!

Tomorrow Jack and I will be leaving on his third trip on an airplane since he was born.  We are headed to Louisiana to see my dear friend Amanda from college.  I'm grateful that he's not old enough to remember the stories we'll tell, because I know there will be lots of reminiscing.

I'm also grateful that he has proven to be an excellent flyer.  And I'm a light packer.  We should be in good shape.

It's funny how you change with each kid.  I didn't take Mary Grace anywhere alone until she was 15 months old and we went to Texas to see a friend.  I took Claire to Amanda's wedding when she was 9 months old. I first flew with Jack when he was 4 or 5 months old and we went to Disneyworld.  I guess I only get partial credit for that one, since we met BJ and the girls there.  My point, though, is that I never would have dreamed of taking Mary Grace anywhere when she was that little.  We could barely make it to Grammaland at that age, because she screamed in the car.  My hearing must not be as good, because that sort of thing just doesn't phase me anymore.

Sorry ye ol' blog has been light on content lately.  We've been idiotically busy.  Good friends are moving to Russia any time now (Fulbright fellowship) and we've been seeing them as much as possible, we've had tons of playdates and activities with friends and school, I've been trying to keep my head above water at work, and the meds that the doctor gave me for my shoulder put me in a coma by 9 pm most nights, so my usual blogging time is spent dreaming, instead.

The shoulder is improving, as is my cold.  We're hanging in there.  Jack had a weird rash all over his chest and tummy tonight, but the internet told me not to freak out, so I'm not freaking out.  Thanks, Dr. Google!

Since I don't have any great stories, I will leave you with a recipe for Chicken Stew that I made today in the crock pot - it was especially yummy on a cold, wet, miserable day:

Coat 1-1/2 pounds of chicken (more or less) in 1/4 cup of flour.  Put in crock pot.  Add one bag of frozen stew veggies (mine, from Kroger, had onion, carrot, celery, and potatoes) and one can of chicken broth.  Cook 6-8 hours on low (3-4 on high).  30 minutes before serving, stir in one bag of frozen peas and 1/2 a container of Philly Chive and Onion spread.  Easy peasy, and really really good!

1 comment:

Rob Monroe said...

I had to be the balance for crazy-new-mom when Abby was born... we flew halfway across the country when Abby was six WEEKS old. :) (Then hopped in a car for a six hour drive shortly after landing...) Craziness.

Glad to hear you're healing. It is hard to parent when you're not well!