Sunday, December 20, 2009

By Request - Turkey Meatloaf Recipe

Molly - this one's for you!

Not Dry Turkey Meatloaf

1 Pound Lean Ground Turkey
1/2 Cup (skim) milk
1/2 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1 egg (or 1/4 Cup Egg Beaters)
Splash of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp salt (unless you're watching that sort of thing)
Dash pepper
Barbecue Sauce

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Mix all the wet stuff and the salt and pepper together. Add the bread crumbs to the wet stuff and let it absorb, until you have sort of a paste. Add the bread crumb paste to the meat, mixing well. Shape it into a loaf, top it with the BBQ sauce (go easy - high sugar, high calories) and bake it for one hour (give or take), to an internal temperature of 180 (use a thermometer - cooking time depends on the shape of your loaf).

This is actually a halved recipe - if you want leftovers (and who doesn't??) it easily doubles. Also, I've added that Kroger frozen chopped bell pepper and onion blend to give it a little more flavor. It also makes it Christmassy! You can do ketchup on top, if you wish, but I like BBQ sauce. Experiment a little with the seasonings, too. Worcestershire gives it a beefier flavor. I need to try "Liquid Smoke" too, and see if I can get it to more closely resemble a beef meatloaf. Throw in Italian Seasoning, or Old Bay (it is poultry after all), or garlic, or Mrs. Dash, or whatever you like/have on hand.

This makes AMAZING meatloaf sandwiches.

***

I need to briefly update yesterday's post. Do not take more psyllium fiber capsules than you're used to before a party. I made myself really sick. Start at two capsules once a day and work your way up gradually, or you will regret it.

Also, the fat free cheesecake cracked like the San Andreas fault. I punished it by not letting it come to the party. Instead I hit the grocery store and got several pies to take to Gramma Susan's. In spite of my stupid move with the capsules, we had a lovely time, and I managed to come in 25 calories under my limit today! Go me!!

No comments: