Friday, December 4, 2009

What do you do for pink eye?

I have a question.

Claire has pink eye. Even though pink eye is stupid*, I've always kept the kids home/stayed home with them when they have it, because it's so contagious. The websites I've consulted say that you have to stay home 3-5 days for viral and 24 hours for bacterial pink eye (or 24 hours into the antibiotic drops, I guess, which would make you no-longer-contagious).

The doctor said that Claire's was "probably" viral. She's had it since Wednesday. That means we're benched until Saturday/Monday. We have a party to go to tomorrow night, where there will be lots of kids. I'm going to e-mail the other attendees and ask them if they think we should come or not.

I gave Allison the choice whether or not she was coming today (she's not, and I don't blame her - she's a senior and she has finals coming up).

BJ, on the other hand, has "never heard of someone staying home with their kids because of pink eye." Considering that BJ is self-employed, all the interns are college students, and his business associates are almost entirely men with stay-at-home wives, I'm not sure where his data set is coming from, but I thought I should ask...

Am I overreacting? Do you go places (school, work, mall play area, holiday parties, babysitter's, etc.) when you have pink eye? Is it different when it's a kid (because kids can't keep their *#$%ing hands out of their *#$%ing noses, and their noses are vile little petri dishes full of disease)? What do you think?






* Pink eye is stupid because they feel fine, but you can't do anything/go anywhere, so the kids are bored to tears.

10 comments:

angel0199 said...

I always heard it was about how the eye looked. If the redness is cleared up and it isn't draining they are probably good to go. Even if they have been on antibiotic drops for 24 hours still keep them in if there is any drainage.

The schools here pretty much go by that too. If the eye is goopy send them home. Abby gets diagnosed with pink eye sometimes when she has an ear infection and the dr has never told me to keep her home. However I got pink eye at the preschool last year (knew it was the contagious kind because all the kids where getting it) and the dr said 48 hours on the drops.

It is a big guessing game. Especailly since you don't even now if it is contagious. Sometimes "pink" eye is viral, sometimes bacterial, and sometimes allergies.

If the eye looks clear I would go, but since Claire's pink eye is pretty much public knowledge I wouldn't be surprised if some mom treat you like you have the plague.

How is that for a lot of answers and no real answer?

Amy said...

Nah, they're good people. Plus, I e-mailed them and got permission to bring her. :) They all said, "we won't let our kids lick Claire's eye," and "ours have the sniffles too, so it'll be like a Secret Santa with germs instead of presents." :)

Anonymous said...

Somehow that's one thing we've managed to escape (knocking on every piece of wood around right now).

I know when friends kids have it, they keep them home. Hope that helps :)

Liz said...

no, amy...i think u are TOTALLY right to keep them home. pink eye is sooo contagious & you're right, kids canNOT keep their hands off of their faces. Which means that everything & everyone they touch could possibly be contaminated. :o(
i worked at an Ophthalmology office for 6 years & saw TONS of people/kids w/ pink eye, so i know what any sane doctor would advise parents to do.
it won't be fun, but staying home is the best thing right now. good luck!!! hope it goes by quickly!!

KaityK said...

I wouldn't take my kids out either (Granted I don't know how much my opinion matters/counts as Grace is only 9 months old and has never had pink eye) but still I wouldn't take her out, I would probably stay in as much as possible until it wasn't contagious anymore as I would want other parents to give me the same courtesy.

Anonymous said...

it's sooooo uncomfortable and soooo contagious... never heard of people being out and about with a kid with it... I'm agreeing alot with Angel... who needs any evil eye from anyone... on the other hand... bored children.. omg! so sorry... I love you!
Connie

Barbara said...

I beg to differ. Not ALL conjunctivitisus are contagious! For example, allergic conjunctivitis is not contagious and is typically itchy and tearing. For the allergic type, cool compresses and artificial tears sometimes relieve discomfort in mild cases. In more severe cases, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and antihistamines may be ... See Moreprescribed (such as Naphcon-A). Viral conjunctivitis symptoms include watery discharge and usually present with cold-like symptoms like fever or runny nose. There is no specific treatment for viral conjunctivitis, however, symptomatic relief may be achieved with warm compresses and artificial tears (preserative-free like celluvisc are best) or lubricating ointment like Lacri-lube. Bacterial conjunctivitis presents with grittiness/irritation and a stringy, opaque, grey or yellowish mucoid discharge that may cause the lids to stick together (matting). Bacterial conjunctivitis usually resolves without treatment. Antibiotics eye drops (Vigamox is a good one) or ointment may be prescribed to help speed the recovery time, some Drs will also Rx oral antibiotics. You can soothe the discomfort of bacterial conjunctivitis by applying a clean wash cloth soaked in warm water and preservative-free artificial tears. I hope this helps!

Cate said...

Wow, you have nice friends. :)

Amy said...

Thanks, y'all. I'm glad to know that I haven't been overreacting!!

Cate - yes, I really really do. :)

Eye Diseases said...

Pinkeye occurs due to viral or bacterial infection. Allergic pinkeye develops due to pollens, animal shedding and certain cosmetic products. Viral pinkeye is very much transmittable. Allergic or chemical pink eye is non-contagious. There are many symptoms of pinkeye like reddishness on eyes, inflamed eyelids, excessive tear production, burning sensation, stuck eyelids, irritation etc.