Sunday, September 16, 2007

Drastic Measures

As you can see, we've resorted to drastic measures in order to minimize the spread of germs around here.

We're all recovering. Wow, have we used a boatload of Kleenex, though. Geez. Seems like all I've said to BJ the last few days is, "Can you hand me a Kleenex?" Poor BJ. I used to whisper sweet nothings into his ear. Now our relationship has been reduced to, "Can you hand me a Kleenex?" and "It's your turn to change the baby," and "Can you hold this kid for me?"

Ah, parenthood...

We've rented a couple of movies from that $1 box at the grocery store - last night we watched "An Inconvenient Truth." Hello, now I'm depressed. I really hate hot weather, folks. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself if the average temperature goes up five or ten degrees. I don't wear shorts. This could be a serious problem. And I really feel bad about the polar bears. I mean, seriously... What did they ever do to us? Poor polar bears. And don't even get me started on the penguins.

So, we're going to start eating less meat, and I'm going to go get a blanket for our hot water heater. We already replaced our furnace and AC with high efficiency models this year (a drastic improvement over the 1970s era furnace and AC that we had before). I really hate the look of those florescent bulbs, but the lights are almost always on in the kitchen and dining room, so we should probably put those in these two rooms, at least.

It just seems like the things that we can do are so small... That they won't really matter. But if we all make small changes, it'll make a big difference. Right?

Claire woke up toward the end of the movie, so I just went to bed, figuring that I had had enough gloom and doom for a Saturday night. So, this morning I came downstairs and said to BJ, "So, how did the movie end? Did Al Gore save the world?" If only it were that easy.

How different would the world be right now if he had won the election? Well, he kind of did. Ok, how different would the world be right now if the Supremes had voted him in instead of W? That's a thought experiment for you...

No comments: