Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Sit Corrected

From Amanda, anthropologist, archaeologist, rant-interrupter:
Not to interrupt a good rant, but the Maya people didn't die out.
Following 1300 AD (the late Post-Classic) their culture changed
dramatically, but there are approximately 7 million Maya people living
in Belize, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, and El Salvador. In fact,
some of the best chicken tamales I've ever eaten were made by a Maya
woman at the market in Punta Gorda, Belize.

The Maya people never said that the world would end in 2012. Maya
calendars are composed of three pieces -- a long count, a tzolkin, and
a haab which together form a calendar round. In 2012, each of the
three rounds are in sync and start over on the same day. It's
basically New Year's Day. There's a good description on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar
The blog just made me think of Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- "I'm not dead yet. I think I'll go for a walk".
Have a good time this weekend.
Sorry about the screwy formatting.  Never go in against a Ph.D. candidate when ancient Central-American cultures are on the line. 

Having fun in Grand Haven.  Wish you were here!

No comments: