Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

I guess I'm going to have to stop making heart shaped things now, because Valentine's day is almost over (not that Mary Grace cares, she's still wishing people a Merry Christmas, but I don't think this is something I should actively encourage). Time to get out the shamrocks, I guess. I was at Walmart the other day, and they already had them out.

Since when does St. Patrick's Day require a full month and a week of pre-planning? Seriously. How hard is it to put a few drops of green food coloring into your beer? Get really fancy and stick a corned beef in the crock pot. It's seriously like 10 minutes of prep time, at the outside, including shopping, Walmart, let's get over it, already.

Anyway, we spent a fantastic day at the museum with Jenny and her monkeys. They'd never been there before, so I felt kind of like the magic fairy making room after room of magical things appear before their eyes. They were excited over the ramp to the front door, and I said, "Oh, just wait, you ain't seen nothin' yet..."

Then we came home and Vincent and Grandpa Bob (who they called Grandpa Bob in that wonderful, unquestioning way kids do, even though they hadn't ever met him) roughhoused and laughed and were generally a couple of turkeys. Mary Grace and Jade had fun, too. Claire was so tired, the poor little midget, but she tried so hard to keep up with the bigger kids. When Dad went to bed a few minutes ago, he said, "Thanks for bringing me some kids my own age to play with tonight!" He's so funny...

We ordered dinner in (which was smart because everyone else in the country went out tonight), and the kids played and laughed and we talked and laughed and it was so much fun. It's really too bad that they live all the way up in Grammaland, because we have a blast when we all get together.

BJ and I have reservations at a fancy pants restaurant tomorrow, and Grandpa Bob is going to watch the kids. However, having seen the way they acted tonight, I might leave Claire in charge!

Happy Valentine's Day, BJ. I wouldn't want to raise this family with anyone else. You are my heart. You make me strive to be the best version of myself that I can be. I love you, and I am so lucky to be able to spend all my days, both heart shaped and not, with you.

No comments: