Wednesday, October 21, 2009

That's Why God Invented Ebay

Yesterday I took the kids to the doctor (I have a sinus infection, and Claire has a minor skin infection where some godforsaken thing from Florida bit her). The kids were TERRIBLE. Seriously awful. I was really embarrassed.

On the way out I was scolding them, and telling them that they couldn't watch TV when we got home as a consequence. Mary Grace was sobbing and saying something unintelligible about "sell me."

It took a while, but I finally got the whole story out of her. It turns out that they'd been discussing the Bible story about Joseph at school - you know, the one where his brothers sell him into slavery? Yeah. I guess she got the idea that if she wasn't good, we were going to sell her.

I resisted the urge to say, "YOU BET WE WILL!" and instead reassured her that we would not be selling her any time in the near future. I might have told her that the Bible is full of made up stories, anyway, and something else that will surely secure my ticket into Hell.

When BJ got home I was telling him the story, and MG got all upset again and started going on and on and on about how Joseph's brothers sold him and we're going to sell her and I may have gotten a little exasperated and said something along the lines of, "Oh, would you can it already, you don't even HAVE any brothers!"

You can withdraw my name from the list of Parent of the Year candidates. I'll wait.

Anyway, just in case you're already working on your holiday shopping, this probably isn't the best year to get Mary Grace a technicolor dreamcoat...

5 comments:

Mimi said...

That's horrible! It's amazing what kids internalize... I had a boy at school try to explain to another child that he was adopted. The other boy thought that you could go out and buy children at the children store. It caused him a lot of sleepless nights.

Haha....I guess I'll keep my rainbow costume.

Auntie Ann said...

Hilarious! We all had times when our kids stand on our last nerve. You can get back at MG when you tell her boyfriend the story when she gets older. Think of the fun you'll have embarrassing her!

I love your blog as it's so much fun to read.

Maggie C. said...

OH but that is the BEST musical!! My parents took us when I was in middle or high school, and I loved it so much I wanted to go again...I had to earn my own money to buy my own ticket, and then my Dad and I went again. Love it! I think I got the soundtrack on a CASSETTE TAPE, whereabouts now unknown...

Rob Monroe said...

If you really want to reassure her, read the Ebay policy about not selling people to her, verbatim.

Or tell her you're working on a little brother, just in case you change your mind later!!

(apologies for the evil laugh!)

Anonymous said...

perfect example of why I don't want other people telling my kids about religion at that age. Alivia freaked out when she learned about Jonah being swallowed by the whale. IF everything the bible says is true then these are scary stories and not really appropriate for preschool if you ask me.
-angie