Monday, April 18, 2011

Baby Cakes

My friend Sarah shared a VERY cute idea last time I saw her, and my friends Jim and Karen used it this weekend.

Instead of having the ultrasound technician tell them the baby's gender during their 20 week ultrasound, they had her write it in an envelope and seal it.  They kept the envelope for weeks, showing enormous restraint that I, personally, do not possess.  Finally, Jim brought it over to my house on Thursday, and I went to the nearest bakery as quickly as possible to remove the temptation to peek.  I instructed the bakery to make the filling between the layers of white cake pink for a girl and blue for a boy.

Then Saturday, BJ picked up the cake and again with the temptation!  I thought of half a dozen ways to peek, but I didn't.  Karen picked the cake up Saturday night when she dropped me off from my birthday celebration, and we waited some more (longest.  weekend.   ever...) until she cut it at her son's birthday party on Sunday afternoon.  I had sent an e-mail to the guests instructing them to wear pink if they guessed it was a girl, and blue if they guessed it was a boy.

Karen and Jim have three wonderful little boys.  And she's pregnant with...  A GIRL!



The best part was watching and hearing everyone react to the news.  Her oldest sons hugged each other and jumped up and down.  You would've thought they won the lottery!  And everyone cheered and cried and hugged and laughed.  It was such a cool moment.

It almost makes me want to have a fourth so I can have a baby cake!

Hooray babies!  Congratulations Jim and Karen!!!

4 comments:

mwiesjahn said...

That is so awesome.... I don't know that I'll be able to wait for the baker to make a cake though!!

Rob Monroe said...

That's a really cute way to learn and let folks know! My patience for that was nil - when we had the first ultrasound at TWO WEEKS I asked. :)

Christy Lee said...

LOVE this. I am so incredibly happy for them! :)

Cate said...

Mmmm. That cake picture is a slight jab of torture for your friend up here in rural AK, where store pastries are non existent.