Friday, March 23, 2012

Let's Start a Movement!

A few weeks ago Mary Grace's Girl Scouts leader was having a rough time.  And I have all this food (so much food - that's another post that's coming, I promise) in my freezer, so I pulled out some chili and added some fruit and macaroni that I had in the pantry and sent it to scouts with her, with a note saying, "Hope this helps..."

Today Claire was sick (fever, vomiting, probably from her shots yesterday) and I had to cancel plans with this same lady for lunch.  She said, "It's my turn to bring YOU dinner!" and brought us over this amazing lasagna, salad, garlic bread, and wine!

And it made me feel so LOVED.

I've done this a few times before with Facebook - I've seen people post that they're overwhelmed, or they have a lot going on, or they have health concerns, or whatever, and instead of just writing, "So sorry," I've said, "I'll be there at 5 with dinner."

I think we need to start a movement.

Because it feels GOOD to take care of people, and it feels GREAT to be taken care of, and it's not like it costs a thousand dollars or takes a ton of time - it's dinner, you're making it for your family anyway, why not double it? - but it really can make all the difference in someone's life.

So many of us don't go to church anymore, or we don't live near our families of origin, or we've moved around a lot and we don't have the sense of community that we used to have, and it's hard.  But we can make it easier on each other, one dinner at a time.

Will you join us?  Next time you see someone say, "I'm really struggling..." on Facebook, instead of just offering words, offer real help.  Offer supper.


Thanks again, Kristine!!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love this idea...right now I don't have any local friends, but I am filing this away for when I have local friends again.