Saturday, May 5, 2012

Oh my achin' head

I've spent more hours than I care to think about laid low by migraines this week.  Thursday night I came home at 6 pm with the kids and went to bed for four hours, and this morning I woke up with one.  It's just not fair to wake up with a migraine!  Both times I took Imitrex (thank goodness for Imitrex), but in order for it to work you have to go to bed.  Ugh.

After I have a migraine, I always get a "hangover."  I feel very weird and disconnected the next day, or for the rest of the day if I wake up with it and manage to get rid of it.  It kind of feels like my head isn't quite attached - I can't think clearly.  For example, after I recovered today Jack and I went to the grocery store to get a few things, and I must have made four trips back and forth across the store for things I forgot.  It's maddening.

I guess that migraines are caused by seizure-like activity in the brain, so I suppose it makes sense that they'd disrupt my thinking.  I generally feel weird 12 hours or so before I get one, too - not as quick or as talkative as usual, and sometimes I feel angry or short-tempered for no real reason.  So between that, the hours of migraine, and the "hangover" afterward, it really takes me out for two full days.

I'm just glad BJ has been home for both of them.  He has a short business trip next week.  Let's hope they're over by then.

I think when I get Jack weaned it's time to go on some sort of preventative medication.  I've always just treated them when I get them, but there are things I could take to prevent getting them in the first place.  It may be time.  Jack is very close to weaning himself.  We only nurse once or twice a day now.  He's far too busy to slow down and nurse during the day, so we only nurse in the morning and at bedtime.  I guess it's probably time.


No comments: