Tuesday, May 22, 2012

An Open Letter to My Parents

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today Claire was grounded.  The infraction wasn't terribly important.  What I learned, though, is that you weren't kidding when you said, "This hurts me more than it hurts you."  It really is more of a punishment for me to have her here whining at me, looking out the window at her sister and her friends like a sad puppy in a shop window, and crying about how mean I am.  I would rather just spank her and get it over with (which also hurts me more, but only lasts a couple minutes).  Too bad we parents aren't allowed to say, "Go cut a switch!" anymore, because it sure beats a whole day of complaining.  Also, now I know why I wasn't grounded very often as a child.  I only lasted a couple of hours before I told her, "I think you've learned your lesson," and let her go play.

All those times you said, "Someday you'll have a daughter just like you..."?  You win.  Sorry.

Love,
Amy

No comments: