Monday, May 24, 2010

I am the only person on the entire planet who gets Lost

For crying out loud, people!

I've spent the better part of the afternoon reading other Lost blogs, and none of you get it.

Here's the thing.  It's about religion.

There was all this Mythology - throughout the series there was this supernatural stuff that was explained (smoke monster, polar bears) and some that was unexplained (Walt and why he was special, how Allison Janney got to the island in the first place, who made all the "rules").

But in the end, when it comes down to it, none of it matters!  It doesn't matter if Jacob was Good and Smokey was Evil (he was looking pretty sympathetic in the episode about their history, hardly an evil dude, imho - he just wanted to go home). It doesn't matter if time travel is possible or impossible.  It doesn't matter that Walt was special or not.  Some things are explained, some things aren't.

Just like in life.

But when it comes down to it, the following is true:

* We all are alive now.
* We will all die.
* The only thing that counts, the only thing that makes a damn bit of difference regardless of whether we're Hindu or Christian or Muslim or Jewish or whatever is the LOVE that we share (whether it's romantic, paternal (Jack and Christian), maternal (Kate/Claire and Aaron), fraternal (Desmond & every guy "brutha," Jacob and his brother), sororal (Kate and Claire), etc.), and the CONNECTIONS that we make to one another.
* We all have a chance to redeem ourselves - and our chance is RIGHT NOW.
* In order to redeem ourselves, we need to un-screw-up all of our screwed up relationships (Jack and Christian, Jack and Kate, Locke and his father, Sawyer and Locke's father, even Jacob and his brother! etc. etc.) and our relationship with ourselves (particularly Ben).

And I, personally, feel that those 5 things are every bit as true in real life as they are in Lost.

People who are religious get all caught up in the details, and the details have caused wars and countless millions of deaths since religion was invented in the first place - but the details don't matter.

Love matters.

That is all.


You have to let go of the details, let go of the mythology, and find a way to love and be redeemed.

And until you do, you're Lost.

There's a good argument to be made, based on the show, that good and evil are entirely in the eyes of the beholder - that someone's actions when viewed from one perspective may look "evil" (I kill you), but when looked at from a different perspective, they look good (...because you're trying to kill an innocent).  I think that's why the goodness and evilness of Jacob and his brother are left ambiguous - because I don't think the writers believe in inherent good and evil, and I don't think we should, either.  Evil and good are matters of perspective, not constants.

Love, on the other hand, is constant.

Love wins.

Awwww....

NOW what am I going to do on Tuesdays?

5 comments:

tootie said...

Good explanation! I agree with you - I think the show is all about the bigger picture and finding love.

As far as what to do on Tuesdays, I have no idea!

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Great analysis :) I agree. People need to let go of all the details and look at the big picture..it's a beautiful thing :)

Natalie at Mommy on Fire said...

Impressive...I tried to watch one episode and couldn't figure out what in the heck was going on so I never did the Lost thing...I think I might be the only person on the planet who didn't watch it but I was just well...lost.
:)

palinode said...

Well said, and probably the best argument for the finale of Lost that I've heard.

Rob Monroe said...

So happy with the end of LOST - can't figure out why others are not. It made total sense to me, pretty much how I expected it to go but still beautifully done.