Thursday, August 25, 2011

Slideshow

Our trip to France in 2006.

Our house, when we first bought it in 2003, before the weeds took over the front yard.

Claire, crawling into the dishwasher.

Mary Grace with Kona.

An old, scanned copy of a high school formal dance.  I went with Jack's namesake.

Camping at Grandpa Ben's farm.

Chuck, Mary Grace, and Claire "flying" on the swings.

Grandpa Bob, when he was older.

An old scanned photo of Aunt Kathryn with a newborn Kelly - Kelly's in nursing school now.

Mary Grace's first preschool graduation.

Emily Pinkerton's concert in Grammaland.

Claire melting down at her purple birthday - before I learned how to schedule things around naps.

Cameron's first birthday.

Aunt Jill's baby shower - now Alex almost two.

Grandma Gleason.

Mary Grace hugging Widget in Gramma's window.

Ken and Shannyn's new house when they first moved in.

Mimi's wedding.  Has there ever been a more beautiful bride?

Mary Grace as a baby, looking so much like Jack.

Me, exhausted, right after giving birth.

Me, standing in the sun at Mimi and Trey's wedding.

The Children's Museum.

An old scanned picture of Barbara-Dahling and Uncle Dale from college.


Max.

There are more photos of loved ones who have passed away than there were last time we watched a slideshow.  It hurts.  More friends we've lost touch with, too, in spite of Facebook.  I think of all the good stuff that's lost to us, and I wish that we could just live the last ten years on an infinite loop, over and over and over again.  Well, most of them, anyway.

This is what it feels like to get old.

And then I remember what I tell the kids - don't be sad that it's over, be glad that it happened.  I think it's a paraphrase of something Dr. Seuss said. 

That guy knew everything.

He's gone, too.

I need chocolate.


3 comments:

angel0199 said...

No matter how much you miss them, you can't really lose someone who has touched your life that much. The time you spend with a loved one becomes a part of who you are.

I get more sad about that fact that my kids won't get to have experiences with those who have toughed my life, but are no longer a part of my day to day.

Though sometimes I catch myself doing something my grandmother did or said. Then I realize that even though she passed years before they were born my kids still get to experience her through me.

angel0199 said...

touched not toughed

Rob Monroe said...

Our TV is hooked up to our computer (better for Hulu since we do not have cable). We use it mostly for music when Abby is awake and have it set to pull pictures from our online Picasa account so we get to see lots of pictures we would have passed by. (It also pulls from other friends online picasa accounts, so we can see friends experiences and growing-up!)