Saturday, January 17, 2009

Meal Planning

I can't believe it took me over a year to think of this...

Remember, oh, about 10,000 years ago when I told you that I use Google Calendar for meal planning? Well, I do. Sometimes. When I'm feeling organized and I have the luxury of sitting down for an hour to plan out what we're going to eat and make a grocery list. Usually I'm racing through the grocery store with two screaming kids, grabbing anything that looks like they might eat it, and rushing out before anyone recognizes me.

Today, though, BJ's taking the kids to Brandon's to play, and I will have several HOURS all to myself... bliss... so I was sitting here making my menu plan and I had this genius thought.

If I set everything up to repeat yearly, and I'm really good about meal planning for a year, then I will NEVER have to do it AGAIN!

I said something to BJ, and he said, "Wow, that's sad..."

"What?"

"Eating the same things, year after year..." (I'm not sure what he thinks we do now!)

"Um, you wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't said something," I retorted.

"True," he said, "But I still think it's sad."

"That's because you don't do the meal planning!" I said, as I set up all my old meals to repeat yearly.

I put the recipe in the "description" part of the event on Gcal, anyway, so most of the recipes I used last year are already there.

Duh. Duh duh duh.

Would anyone be interested in sharing my Gcal menu planning via Google Calendar? If so, drop me an e-mail.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always feel the need to correct misquotings, especially when it is me who is misquoted.

What I said was that it was sad for that we would have the same thing on the same day every year, like every Jan 13th was broccoli casserole. That's sad.

What I think makes more sense to have is a pool of recipes to draw from in menu planning - add in ones we like, discard ones we never seem to want to make. But I do agree that trying to figure out what to make week after week without resorting to the same 10 things is difficult.

Of course, what this will come down to is you saying "Do you want to do the arduous menu planning, the 90 miunte grocery shopping with orbiting kids, and salving away in a hot kitchen for an hour each night?" to which I will say "I'm not sure that's a good idea" and will result in you saying "Ok, my way it is" and us having broccoli casserole every Jan. 13th. Sad.

Amy said...

The thing about meal planning, honey, is that you have to take into account what season it is (unless you want me to send you out to grill burgers in -15 weather!), what produce is in season, what our other plans for the week are, what's on sale, etc. etc. It's a total pain in the ass. I'm not saying we have to have broccoli casserole every January 13, but if a pool of 7 seasonal, previously tried recipes were available for me to draw from during the week of Jan 13, it would sure make life easier. We'll have broccoli casserole every Jan 13, +/- one week. Is that less sad?

Turkey.

Love,
Amy