Wednesday, January 21, 2009

25 Random Things

For those of you who aren't on Facebook, I'm reprinting this here... If you want to participate, too, feel free!

Rules: Once you're tagged, write 25 random things about yourself, then tag 25 people who must then post their own note with their own 25 random things.

I've been tagged for this a couple of times, so I'd better get crackin'. 25 is a lot.

1) I love to cook. I use recipes, but I don't always follow them. I cook by feel more often than not, just throwing whatever makes sense into a pot. Consequently, we eat a wide variety of things, and I often find myself unable to make something a second time. I probably should start writing things down.

2) I am uber-organized when it comes to our schedule. I use Google Calendar to keep track of every-damn-thing, and am constantly trying to improve my organization. I just wrote about this at
http://prettybabies.blogspot.com/2009/01/family-organization.html

3) Blogging is one of my most favorite things to do. I've always wanted to be a diarist, but I've never had the self-discipline to do it daily. I have dozens of old diaries that I kept for a couple of weeks then abandoned, and nearly all of them are embarrassing, but I can't bear to throw them away. The public nature of blogging helps me in two ways - a) I don't write anything I wouldn't want to see in the local paper, eliminating the embarrassment, and b) if I don't post for a couple days, people start e-mailing me to say, "What's wrong?" and it reminds me to keep going. Also, I type much faster and better than I write.

4) I have done something really stupid to my left shoulder, and yesterday it hurt so bad that I had to actually use my right arm to move my left arm. I'd go to the doctor except it feels better today. It's probably a rotator cuff injury, or bursitis. Bursitis makes me sound and feel old.

5) I've known my husband since we were 11 years old. We went to middle school and high school together, but didn't date until we were 21. We have one of the cutest "how we got together" stories I've ever heard. You can read it here if you want to:
http://prettybabies.blogspot.com/2008/06/32-years-ago.html

6) If I was stranded on a deserted island, but I had a computer with internet access, I think I could be happy.

7) I have read hundreds of books, maybe even thousands. I am usually working on 2 or 3 books at a time. Right now I can think of 5 that I've started, and will finish within a month. When I go to a bookstore and they have a display, like the staff recommendations at Barnes & Noble I like to count how many of them I've already read. It makes me feel erudite.

8) I like big words, but I often pronounce words incorrectly because I've read them, but never heard them. The most humiliating example being "fruition" which I pronounced "fruit-ti-tion" until someone corrected me. I use online dictionaries that allow you to push a button and hear the word spoken, now, in order to avoid further embarrassment.

9) I am a terrible, but enthusiastic, dancer.

10) I have been abroad three times. Once with my aunt and grandmother when I was 11 - we took a cruise around the Baltic for nearly a month, and it was phenomenal. I went to France once in high school and once when Mary Grace was about a year old. I really want to go back. I would love to see Ireland and Scotland.

11) I've never lived anywhere but Indiana. I have lived in almost every major Indiana city. I always thought I'd live in Chicago, but I never quite made it. Maybe someday...

12) I love to sing and often give loud concerts in the car, to an appreciative audience of toddlers and dashboard. If you see some crazy woman in a minivan rockin' out, that's probably me.

13) I love the color Chocolate Brown, both to wear and to decorate with, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be the Avacado Green or Harvest Gold of this decade, and will look hopelessly out of style when we look back at the 2000s in pictures.

14) In the beginning of the decade, I waged a concentrated campaign to refer to this decade as "the zips." It didn't catch on.

15) I like to think that I'm funny, but it could just be that I have no qualms about humiliating myself, often in public.

16) I'm that annoying person who strikes up conversations with random people everywhere I go. People are almost always nice to me.

17) I watch ER religiously, even though it's stupid and predictable. I also watch 24, Heroes, The Big Bang Theory, The Daily Show, and Saturday Night Live. I hate reality TV. I'm disillusioned with Oprah, and the only reason I ever watch Dr. Phil anymore, which is rarely, is to laugh when he yells at people. I rarely watch the news, because I find it depressing. That's why I like the Daily Show, it makes me laugh. BJ tells me what I need to know about the world, so I let him watch the news and distill it for me into manageable pieces, rather than sitting here watching CNN and freaking out all day.

18) I tend to be a bit of a hypochondriac.

19) I have a terrible memory. I remember things that never happened, and have a hard time remembering anything before high school.

20) I have a lot of wonderful friends, and am extremely close with my extended family, but my husband is truly my best friend. He balances out all my crazy with all of his sanity.

21) I work for BJ. I do the bookkeeping and much of the non-engineering stuff for his company. Not only are we a husband and wife business team, but so are my mom and step-dad, and so were my mom's parents, and so were BJ's mom's parents. Even though people always say, "Oh, I could NEVER work with my spouse!" when they find out that we work together, it feels normal to me and I really can't imagine life any other way at this point.

22) I want a big family, but I'm not sure that I can handle another small child at this point.

23) I would rather go grocery shopping than clothes shopping, which explains a lot.

24) I love Honeycrisp apples and am excited that they are available year round at my grocery store, now. I also like bananas, but only when they're just barely ripe. Overripe bananas make my teeth hurt. I don't drink juice. I don't really care for oranges and other citrus fruit, especially lemon in my iced tea - yuck! I like melon, but it's a pain in the butt - I only eat it when it's already cut up for me. I like grapes and most berries.

25) I am addicted to coffee, but I also like tea. I find that most people are either tea or coffee people, but not both. Not me. I'll take my caffeine any way I can get it!

Holy carp, that's a lot of things. Your turn!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I've got to ask...which grocery store has Honeycrisp apples year-round?

I CRAVED them last year during my pregnancy, so much that I would eat 2-3 a day and made a Costco trip just to by TWO 8-packs of Honeycrisps. So seriously, I need your dealer, I mean, source now that Costco doesn't have them anymore.

Amy said...

Kroger's has had them well past the usual season. If you're really nice, I can mail you some. :)

They're not quite as good as the ones at Costco - those were my first honeycrisps, and goodness they're the best - but they're far better than red delicious and other cardboard sorts of apples one generally finds in the grocery store.

E-mail me your address.

Amy