Monday, January 25, 2010

In Which I Invent Soup

I didn't know what to make for supper tonight, so I came up with my own recipe from what sounded good.  Each one-cup serving only has 132 Calories and 1.5 g of fat!  Lots of good fiber and veggies, too.


Ingredients:
2 bratwurst-sized turkey sausages
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 14.5 ounce can black beans
1 bag Kroger Seasoned Corn, Black Beans, Peppers, and Onions (frozen)
1 bag Kroger Brown Rice (frozen)
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp (give or take) chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the sausages, whole, in the bottom of a sauce pan. When they're almost done, cut them into slices. Meanwhile, drain and rinse 1 can of black beans. Return the sausage to the pan and add a can of diced tomatoes (add the tomatoes first to deglaze the pan), the beans, a whole bag of Kroger's Private Selection Seasoned Roasted Corn, etc. Also add a whole bag of Kroger's frozen brown rice. Add 4 cups of water, and any additional spices that you want (a clove of garlic and chili powder, but you may like cilantro or any number of other spices... Experiment! Spices are free!). Simmer for 20 minutes (as with all soups, the longer the better), and serve with tortilla chips, and maybe a dollop of fat free sour cream or a sprinkle of fat free cheddar cheese (not included in nutrition info).

Now, someone tell me how to thicken up the broth, it was a little thin.  Do I need to add a can of tomato paste?  The flavor was good, though, even though it was thin.  I hope you like it!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Bleh! Sorry, the beans did it for me... but I admire the nutrition in that pot!

Dorothy said...

Cold water and flour mixed together thickens the broth, taht's how I was taught to thicken soups

strwberrryjoy said...

I would say the easiest way to thicken it is take out a little soup...like 1/2 to 1 cup and whisk in some cornstarch...start with about a tablespoon and whisk till smooth. Then mix it back in with your batch. If it's not thick enough, just repeat! If you don't have cornstarch just buy some to keep on hand...it's twice as good as flour as thickening up stuff since it's a thickening agent. Flour will work, but you'll need more of it.

Kathryn said...

I had the same problem with the chicken enchilada soup I made last night so I threw in about 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice during the last hour of cooking (it was in the crock pot). I worked like a charm and since you were already planning to include rice just swap out uncooked for frozen. Also (and I know it's not best for the sodium count)if you don't rinse canned beans that liquid also helps thicken. Or you can puree some of the soup and put it back in the pot (I use an immersion blender) That's what I do with split pea or bean soup. I save the flour and cornstarch trick for gravy.

Unknown said...

Use an immersion blender or just mash up 1/2 of the black beans before you add them. Put 1/2 the can in a mini chopper and puree then add to the soup.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I will have to try this one soon (esp since I bought some of that roasted corn mix on accident and had NO idea what I was going to do with it! :)

Amy said...

Oooh, I love the roasted corn stuff. It's great on top of a salad with a little Spicy Ranch dressing! It's great as a side with tacos or other Mexican food. It is the bomb!

Jenny, you need to learn to love beans... They are super food, and they are your friend. :)

I'll try to thicken up the soup next time I make it and report back with results. Thanks, y'all.