Saturday, January 16, 2010

Saturday Project

There's a pretty big recall going on that involves Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl, Rolaids, Simply Sleep, and St. Joseph products.  It's a very good time to go through and check any Tylenol, Motrin, etc. products you find in your cabinet against the list of recalled products.  It's also a very good time to go through the medicine cabinet(s) and throw out anything expired. 

Want to make it more fun?  Let's see who has the oldest product (Mom!!) lurking in his or her medicine cabinet.  I found something that expired in 2005.  I know you can do better than that.

So, whoever finds the oldest product wins a prize.  (Perhaps the tall kitchen-sized garbage bag full of expired products and 75% used-and-the-rest-is-dried-up lotions and soaps that I cleaned out of my cabinets?).  We'll use the honor system - no photographic evidence required (although if you want to e-mail me pictures, I could post them as follow up!).  Leave a comment with the expiration date of your oldest medicine cabinet find!

Where do you keep medicine in your house?  We have several places - a tall linen cabinet in the bathroom downstairs, the medicine cabinet downstairs, the medicine cabinet upstairs, and an old sewing cabinet that we hung in our bedroom.  As long as you're going through everything, please make sure that everything is out-of-reach-of-children.  You can't rely on childproof packaging - it's more adultproof than anything else!

(The picture, from Wikimedia Commons, is of reproductions of Civil War era medications on display at a reenactment of the battle of Corydon.  I'll be impressed if anyone can come up with anything that old!)

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

We went on an archeological dig and found some ear drops that were filled in 2002 and expired in 2003 Not that old but pretty bad for someone who thought she kept her stuff pretty up to date. I also noted that I have absoultely NO childrens medication that is not expired - time to hit CVS I think.

The Moniak Family said...

I did the exact same thing last night. I went rummaging through the medicine cabinet (in our kitchen, since you asked!) looking for recalled products. I only found one bottle of recalled Tylenol, but plenty of expired stuff! I think my oldest was from 2008... not very impressive, I know. But the recall thing was a great excuse to give that cabinet a much-needed organizing/cleaning out!

mwiesjahn said...

I just cleaned out my medicine cabinet last week! It must be that time of year. I got rid of all of the old prescriptions. I have no idea why I keep them anyway...