Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Stroller Is Recalled, How About Yours?

I can't feel smug about not buying the uber-expensive strollers that got recalled because they amputate fingers, because now the much more reasonably priced Graco strollers have a recall, too.  And this time, mine is among the strollers recalled.

Check out the "protective cover" they've come up with:



Because no child has ever figured out how to undo Velcro!  Sheesh.  It also looks like crap, and it probably interferes with the operation of the canopy.  I guess if we do have another baby, I'll be buying another stroller.  That's all right, the one we have has lasted through two kids, zero amputated fingers, and probably has over 100,000 miles on it.

In other news, I came down with the pretty babies' cold.  We took a lovely long nap this afternoon.

I seem to have broken through the plateau I was complaining about last week.  The weight loss has slowed, which is to be expected, but not stopped.  Prior to coming down sick, I had worked my way up to 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15 minutes on the stationary bike.  I'm not sure what my goal should be...  An hour of cardio a day?  An hour of cardio every other day, with weights in between?  We have weights somewhere in the garage.  Weights intimidate me.  I'm afraid I'll do it wrong and hurt myself.  I probably should spring for a gym membership and a trainer, but I do a lot better when I work out in solitude, and I don't have to feel self-conscious about my bright red face and profuse sweat.

Actually, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are a problem, because while BJ has switched back to working out on the bike (he doesn't love the elliptical), he wants to be in the spare bedroom/home gym on the bike at the same time that I want to be in there on the elliptical in the morning.  Not only is this not cool because he sees me get all red like a sweaty tomato, but it forces me to watch sci fi. 

I might have to become a person who exercises at night.  That hasn't ever worked for me, though.  Mainly because I don't like taking two showers in a day - it dries out my hair and skin.  Nighttime exercise would also have to take place between about 9 and 11 pm - after dinner is over and cleaned up and the kids are in bed.  That's prime "together time" for BJ and I, and I don't want to give it up.  Plus, doesn't it interfere with your sleep to exercise that close to bedtime?

I don't know what to do.  Maybe skip work on Tuesdays and Thursdays during preschool, so I can work out at home while everyone's gone?  BJ won't love that.  Maybe I just need to get over myself and work out with BJ in the room.  I could wear headphones, or we could alternate who gets to choose the entertainment.

How funny, that he's seen me at my most gross, vulnerable, and primal twice (when I gave birth), but I'm uncomfortable with him watching me work out.

Yep, I think I'm going to have to get over myself.

Speaking of the diet, I've tried a couple more products that I want to share with you!  Wishbone Salad Dressing has a ranch flavored spray - 10 squirts is only 15 calories.  I had it for lunch and it was a reasonable facsimile of ranch.  Also, Jello Mousse?  The caramel creme is amazing!  60 calories.  I've started drinking green tea once a day for the antioxidants.  I'm still not convinced that antioxidants aren't bullshit, but I figure it can't hurt, and I like tea.  I usually have it once a day anyway.  I've been drinking it with Truvia sweetener, so 0 calories on that!  Yay!  Truvia doesn't taste quite like sugar, but it doesn't have the obnoxious aftertaste that Sweet N Low has.  Finally, Kellogg's Fiber Plus granola bars taste great, and make you feel like you've eaten candy for 130 calories.  I still love the Chex Mix Turtle Bars, also 130 calories, but I think the Kellogg's ones are a little bit healthier.  Lots of fiber - 35% of your RDA, which is kind of awesome.

5 comments:

strwberrryjoy said...

The Graco stroller link links to your Mirena post?

Amy said...

LOL! Whoops. Fixed that. Thanks Maria!!

Liz said...

I work out in the evening after our kids are in bed. Our elliptical is in our living room, and I totally work out with my husband in the room. We end up watching tv and talking so it's still together time.

Rob Monroe said...

Anny refuses to work out around me, even walking these days. Argh. I'm a social person, but refuse to spend Gym money when I know I won't go. Argh.

I am resolving to being fat for the time being - the exercise stuff I tried to get the other day on craigslist never replied.

Hope your day perks up - I know you're sick and the girls are home. Warm thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to drink green tea more often as well, I found that the berry flavored kind actually tastes good enough I don't need sweetener in it!