Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Plateau

I have worked very hard at not making Pretty Babies into a diet blog, which is hard, because I'm thinking about food approximately 83% of the time right now (the other 17% of the time, I'm asleep and not dreaming about food). I spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to eat next, and planning ahead so I don't just grab something easy, and thinking about what I wish I could eat - if I still ate whatever instead of counting calories like Scrooge counts pennies... I've actually thought about spinning off a diet blog, because it would be nice to be able to write about it, but I neglect my kids badly enough already...

Anyway, I've resisted as long as possible, but I have to talk about it right now, so if you don't want to read it, go with God... but come back tomorrow.

Ok, so are we all ready to talk about the most boring topic on the planet? Dieting? Good.

I am really frustrated. I got down to Starting Weight -25, right before Christmas. (This is NOT The Biggest Loser and the SW is extremely classified).

I was honestly as good as possible under the circumstances throughout the holidays. I mean, there isn't much you can do when you're traveling or visiting people in their homes without being a total pain in the butt. I did as well as I could with the parties and the appetizers. I am not blowing smoke or deluding myself or being dishonest here - I was really good. Not great, but really good. I had dessert a couple times, but the servings were small. I didn't pig out on cookies or candy at all. I tried to eat lots of fruit and veg and not a lot of fattening, high calorie stuff. I didn't even drink much.

Since SW-25 I have gained 10 pounds. I've been stuck at SW-15 for over a week. SW-25 happened on 12/21. I don't know if the (digital) scale was screwy that day or what, but this is so aggravating.

This, in spite of the fact that I've started using fake sugar (Ideal brand - it doesn't actually taste like sugar, but it's close, and less offensive than Sweet N Low) in my tea; in spite of the fact that I've started Phase 3 (exercise) this week; in spite of the fact that I have been under my daily calorie allotment (which is set at "lose 1.5 pounds per week") for a week (and far, far more often than not over the last 6 or 8 weeks - however long I've been torturing myself).

Can anyone help a girl out here? What is going on? It's so hard to behave when I'm not seeing the results anymore. I'm not homicidal like I was after that first week, but I'm pretty despondent, here. Any suggestions you have for getting back on track are most welcome. Encouragement is welcome, too. I need all the help I can get right now.

(photo: Wikimedia Commons)

8 comments:

Bev said...

Step away from the scale; hiding it is a great idea! Those numbers don't tell the whole story. Keep on doing what you're doing because you are making progress but the results you are watching for don't show up on a scale daily. It's got to be a lifestyle change anyway which is another reason why you must not focus on the scale number.

You go girl!! You're doing it right and you'll notice the benefits in many other ways...only then should you check in with the scale again.

Cathie said...

I'm thinking a few things...

1) Are you sure you are eating enough calories? You mentioned being under your goal. If you eat too little your body will going into starvation mode and store everything you eat.

2) The flip side - you need less calories because you lost 25 pounds. That's a significant amount and you need to adjust for that.

3) With exercise are you drinking more water to replace what you are losing?

4) With exercise that your body is not used to, your muscles may be swollen for the first week or two, thus retaining water.

5) You need to change things up a bit. Eat at different times of the day. Eat different foods for a week or so. Shock your body. It is used to what you are doing.

Also, are you measuring inches? Don't just go by what the scale says, especially since you are starting to exercise. Your body will change shape. You will gain muscle (which weighs more than fat) and tone up. So, start tracking your measurements too.

Plateaus are sooo frustrating. But you made it through the holidays. So, I know you can make it through this too. Keep the big picture in mind - all the benefits you get from being healthier, not just the weight loss. I'm so proud of you Amy. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

For me, educating myself is the key. Study, study, study! Once I found out what's actually in these food products that comprise the average American diet, I had little desire to consume them. (Do I really need to tell you not to trust "the government" to ensure the food products you buy are safe and nutritious?)

As a bonus, real food tastes so much better!

Yes, it takes conscious thought and planning ahead. It's supposed to. Do you really think that once tater tots and drive-through windows were invented, the human body immediately evolved to accept these products of technology as adequate food sources?

Talk to your mom. How was she able to make the switch to gluten-free eating? That must have been a real challenge.

Personally, I'm a fan of getting on the scale every day. I just need consistent reminders that I need to be thinking about what I'm doing instead of reverting to automatic pilot. Cleaning up one's food choices requires conscious effort, and a reading on the bathroom scale that's going in the wrong direction can be the kick in the pants one needs.

Can you get rid of the word "diet"? That sounds like some sort of temporary state, and then you intend to go right back to the behaviors that got you to this point.

Think of yourself as "evolving." You're learning how to do better, and then you intend to keep on doing better. You intend to be a better role model for your children. You intend to teach them how to eat properly and establish good habits so -- you hope -- they won't have to go through the same struggles that plague you.

You can do it, Amy!

Anonymous said...

Weigh yourself once a week! And the same time of day. To quote Harry Chapin (no not 30,000 lbs of bananas) reality is just another word. I agree with Cathie...measure and take that as a truer measure of your loss.
Keep it up! You look great! Maybe you will drop a brain cell or 2 and then I can win at Scrabble!
Love you,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Everyone is giving fabulous advice! Yes, hide the bloody scale. You KNOW what the clothes feel like, there's the time of the month that will effect things and yes, exercise will swell you up and bulk you up and cause numbers to be askew! Drink a half gallon of water before noon and the other half gallon before 6p. Flushing the system is very critical. Eat allllll the fruits and raw veggies you can stand...the crunchier the better. DON'T give up. You've made awesome strides. It'll be ok. Love you!
Connie ps: quit beating yourself up... glass is half full not half empty and sooooo, you're in a lull... looook how far you've come!

Anonymous said...

Portion size & exercise are the important ingredients. Hang in there

Erin said...

you need a change. are you eating the same things every day? if so, try all new recipes for a week.
what about exercise? can you join a gym and take up kickboxing or zumba or something?

your body is probably just in a rut - when dieting it is easy to get into a rut because you don't want to veer off normal and risk getting slack on your rules.

good luck! and congrats, -15 is great!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am really delighted to discover this. great job!