Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bedtime

Bedtime was kind of funny tonight. We have bad bed habits in this house. Well, bad if they bother you, I guess, but I get enough sleep this way, so it's good for us. Anyway, I always cuddle the girls to sleep. We're weaning off of nursing to sleep, but I'm not sure we'll ever stop cuddling to sleep. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to, especially on the days when I've been at work, or when they're sick (and unfortunately both of those conditions were met tonight). So, we're cuddlers. I'm not going to let them cry, so let's not even talk about that part...

ANYWAY, Allison has started telling MG long meandering stories about herself to get MG to go to sleep. "Tell me a story about you," MG will say, and Allison, being the World's Best Babysitter will comply. She told me about this a few days ago. Well, tonight MG made the same request of me. I was sort of taken by surprise, and I had nothing prepared, so I said the first thing that popped into my head... "A long, long time ago, I can still remember how the music used to make me smile. And I knew if I had my chance, that I could make those people dance, and maybe they'd be happy for a while..."

Ok, maybe you had to be there, but I thought it was funny.

Then everyone finally settled down, Claire was asleep under my left arm, MG was falling asleep on top of my right arm, and the damn cat decided that she needed a snuggle, too, and laid down right on top of me. I was completely pinned. I thought I'd never get out of there without waking someone up. Luckily I have no qualms about abusing my cat, so I basically picked up the quilt and launched her toward the end of the bed, where she landed quietly, if miffed, and strutted away. Both the babies stayed asleep. It was a bedtime miracle.

Claire is following in Mary Grace's footsteps with the talking thing. She said "Mama" exactly once, and now she's saying "Dada" non-stop. They're just doing it to mess with me...

Now I have to go clean the toyroom, before we lose a kid in there. It looks like a war zone.

No comments: