Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Is it still Wednesday?

Maybe it's because I stayed up until 2:30 am (too much caffeine) last night and got up at 8:30, or maybe it's because I talked to my mom and BJ a lot less today than I normally do (Mom - you are NOT allowed to forget your cell phone again. It screws up my whole day!), or maybe it's because we went shopping this morning, or because I never did get both the kids to nap at the same time today, but this day has been at least 72 hours long.

BJ has been working a ton, and as I write this is headed to Durango, Colorado to deliver some stuff to a client. I'm not sure when he'll be back. The girlies and I will probably head to Grammaland this weekend so that Mommy doesn't lose her tiny mind.

Mary Grace was funny tonight. She was pretending to talk on the phone, picking up the mouse for the computer and holding it between her cheek and her shoulder, and saying, "Oh hi. Yeah. I'm watching Happy Monster Band. Uh huh. Okay. Bye!" in a perfect imitation of me. When I asked her who she was talking to, she said, "Grandma." I guess she feels a little lost when Grandma leaves her cell phone at home, too.

She has also learned to order my coffee at Starbucks, which is no small feat. I can't do this justice in words, and I will try to get it on video, but Mary Grace can now order a "grande, decaf, non-fat, white chocolate mocha with no whip!" She gets particularly excited about the last part, and will dance around, yelling, "No whip! No whip!" which is probably going to be really hard to explain when she's in preschool.

Claire's top two middle teeth are coming in, but she's having a terrible time learning the song. She can't whistle, either. Poor kid.

I'm reading a book that takes place in the mid-1980s in the town where I live now. It is not very complimentary, to be honest. In fact, I disagree 100% with the author's perspective on this area. But even so, it's completely bizarre to be reading a real book about the town where I live. She mentions going school clothes shopping at the Kmart that used to be about 5 blocks from my house. She mentions, by name, the main road that you take from my house to get to town. She talks about her sister's apartment overlooking the river. I'm pretty sure it was 4 blocks from here. She talks about the two local high schools extensively. She mentions the local funeral home, the mall (by name), the Big School... everything.

It is totally freaking me out.

I guess it's because it's not a big town. I mean, people in New York or London don't probably feel this way when they read books set in New York or London. But our town's population is only about 25,000, if you don't count the students, so it's a little bit different. I'd be surprised if half a dozen books ever published had taken place here.

I'd tell you what book it is, but A) I don't want whoever keeps searching for "teen p@mpers" and ending up here to know where I live, because, eeewww... and B) it's really not that good a book, anyway.

No comments: