Sunday, November 30, 2008

Books I'm Reading...

I've been slacking on my reading the past few days, but recently picked up a book called Endangered by Johann Christoph Arnold, and found a poem that I wanted to share with you...
child, though I am meant to teach you much,
what is it, in the end,
except that together we are
meant to be children
of the same Father,
and I must unlearn
all the adult structure
and the cumbering years
and you must teach me
to look at the earth and the heaven
with your fresh wonder.
~Jane Tyson Clement
I thought it was beautiful, and especially appropriate as we begin the Christmas season. For me, the best part of being a parent is seeing the world through a child's eyes again, through my kids.

I'm only about halfway into this book, but I'm finding excellent things to think about. It really addresses my fears about raising children in such a violent, unchildlike, unsafe world. I haven't gotten to any answers, yet, on how to insulate them, except to love them. If they know that I will walk with them through life, and help them to become who they're supposed to be, no matter what, maybe they'll be ok.

What's inspiring you today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Profound! Just be there for your kids. I see too many parents who aren't and children who just want someone to love them. Discipline them and love them and give them boundaries. It's the best thing that you can do for a child.

Anonymous said...

My dad always used to say that the three things a child needs to grow up are: love, discipline, and 3 square meals a day. I think he was on to something! :) I love your blog. I have 2 boys 14 months 5 days apart (we planned to have them close). Merry Christmas!

DPA said...

I LOVE the place where you're coming from, Amy. I too think that the best thing we can do for our children is provide unconditional love with loving discipline so that our children can grow, mature and BE who they are suppose to be-for them to pursue their dreams through their God-given talents.
Gives me chills as we are so blessed that we live in US where an individual can do what they want.
Our fammilies are blessed that we have means to enable our kids to be exposed to so many experiences and thus...;)
With love,
-from Grandma Land