Monday, November 24, 2008

My Skirt Actually Flew Up

I started my holiday cooking today. I made pie crusts and froze them, unbaked, for the pumpkin pie. I made blue cranberry sauce (because it gets better as it sits, so 3 days should be just about the perfect amount of time for all of the flavors to meld perfectly). And I made my skirt fly up.

There's something earthy and satisfying about making bread. I love to take a bunch of ingredients that, alone, taste awful, and make something incredible. I love the way the dough feels, I love the way the house smells, I love everything about making bread. Yet I only do it about twice a year...

So when I lost my mind and decided that I had to make everything from scratch for T-day, I decided to try Pioneer Woman's yeast rolls.

The recipe makes enough to feed a ranch full of cowboys, so I thought I'd better make a test batch tonight for dinner, you know, just to be cautious. After all, if they were terrible (yeah, right), I still have time to thaw some Rhodes rolls, right?

And being the astute fan girl that I am, somewhere in the process I realized that the dough was exactly the same as the amazing cinnamon rolls I made last Christmas.

So, I took 1/4 of the dough and made rolls for dinner. I took 1/4 and kept it back in the fridge to make rolls on Thursday, and I took 1/2 and made cinnamon rolls.

I wish you could smell my house right now. Oh. My. God.

I ate four of the rolls. Just to be sure, you know, that they would be ok for the Big Day.

They are to die for.

You still have time. They are simple to make, it's really just a lot of waiting on the yeast. Go get the stuff tonight, make the dough tomorrow, keep it in the fridge, and they'll be ready for you to bake on Thursday. Then you can fall in love with a dinner roll, too. I don't know about you, but I am never going to be the same.

I have tried several of her recipes, and Ree never fails me. If you aren't a loyal follower yet, you should be.

Thanks PDub!!

(Tomorrow I'm going to make the potatoes, I think, both sweet and mashed... And probably the pie. It depends on how much energy I have tomorrow afternoon. I may still be coming down off of these rolls...)

No comments: