Monday, March 30, 2009

Being Moral is Expensive

So last night I was unable to find a buyer for those two tickets to the Steven Curtis Chapman/Michael W. Smith double header that I'd planned to attend with my Bonus Mom, Susan. (Someone on FB said, "What's a bonus mom?" and I replied, "A step-mom, but without all the negative Brothers Grimm connotations.")

I headed over to campus at about 5:30 to pick the tickets up from Will Call. Then I became a scalper.

According to Jenny, scalping is legal in Indiana, as long as you don't sell the tickets at a profit.

I paid $88.15, including all the Ticketbastard fees. I figured I'd just sell them for $85, because I didn't have any change.

I held up my tickets, smiled charmingly, and said, "Need tickets? I'm friendlier than Ticketmaster!" to everyone who walked by. I was only there about 20 minutes before a girl approached me. "How much?" she said.

"$85," I replied.

"They're for my mom, I need to call and check..." So she whips out a cell phone, calls her mom, has a brief conversation in which Mom approved the price, and hangs up.

"OK, so $85 each?" she says.

"NO!" I sputtered, "Just $85 for the pair." After all, they were still selling tickets at the box office, only 50 feet away, at face value.

So she hands me $105. And like an idiot, I handed her back the extra $20, saying, "Oh no, if I make a profit off of a Christian concert, I will surely go straight to hell."

I guess I must hate money or something.

But seriously, we are in the wrong business. I'm thinking of becoming a part time scalper. I could make a fortune. Especially if I take the kids with me.... I can teach them to be buskers. MG could tap dance, Claire could just stand around and be cute. It could be VERY lucrative.

But I'm only going to scalp tickets for secular concerts.

1 comment:

Rob Monroe said...

You were not selling tickets to see JESUS - you should have grabbed the extra cash. :o)