Sunday, November 15, 2009

Doomed Diet Day 1 - Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Well, kids, it's hard to feel deprived when you start your day with something called Pumpkin Pie.

This was so good, I had to share the recipe:

2 cups old fashioned oats
3-1/2 cups water
dash salt
1 cup pumpkin puree (the stuff for pies that's just pumpkin, no added sugar or spices)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

Spices and toppings - see below.

Boil the water and the dash of salt. When boiling, add the oats, reduce heat, and cook for four minutes (out of 5 for the old fashioned oats) stirring often. One minute before the oatmeal is done, add 1 cup of pumpkin puree. Stir. Just before it's finished, add brown sugar and spices to taste. I used cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.

Top with 2 tbsp craisins (if you have them) or mixed dried fruit (which is what I had) or raisins or whatever. It would also be good with granola on top, to give it a little crunch, or even a broken up graham cracker to simulate the crust! I also put a dab of fat free half and half on top of ours (to simulate the whipped cream).

This is really filling and healthy! How else are you going to get a serving of vegetables and a serving of fruit into breakfast? It's loaded with Vitamin A and fiber, too. The recipe made enough for BJ and I each to have one cup today and tomorrow. I used a recipe calculator program, and it's only about 300 calories and 3 grams of fat.

I always start off really strong with diets, and after about 3 days it all falls apart. We'll see...

3 comments:

The Moniak Family said...

This sounds incredible - I love anything with pumpkin! I might just make it for breakfast tomorrow morning! Thanks for the recipe :)

Erin said...

mmmm...think i may have to try this one! thanks amy!

Sarah said...

good luck!!! I'm doing WW right now.