Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Best Laid Plans

Jack came down with a cold (bad cough, snotty, sneezy, low fever, etc.) so nothing went according to plan yesterday.  We were supposed to go to a Mommy & Me class (the first class, of course), but I didn't want to bring a feverish kid to a class full of healthy kids, so we skipped it.  Instead, we went to the bank to set up the bank account for my new Scouts troop.  Good thing we did it in advance, too, because they need 10 - 14 days to get a debit card to me.  *sigh*

It took forever.  The people were really nice, but we were there for an hour trying to set up the stupid checking account.  It shouldn't have taken that long, I was expecting 15 or 20 minutes at the most, so I wasn't at all prepared.  I had one book and one toy car for Jack to play with.  Fortunately the closest GS authorized bank is inside a grocery store, so I got him some Skittles.  He also watched some Netflix on my phone.  How did people parent before smart phones??

Then I had planned to go to the GS retail Showcase, but Jack was fussing.  I realized it was lunchtime so we ate first.  On the way to the Showcase after lunch, he dumped his drink all over himself.  I pulled over to take the ice cubes off of him and realized that we had to go home, instead.

He fell asleep on the way home for about 5 minutes, and I got him inside and stripped out of his wet, sticky clothes without waking him up, but as soon as I put him into his bed he woke up.  That was the end of nap.  Which meant that I couldn't do the 10,000 things that I had intended to do while he was sleeping.  *sigh*  I gave him a bath, instead.

He finally fell asleep around 3:00 (which is about 2 hours late).  We had to skip ice cream with friends from out of town.  He was still sleeping when it was time to meet them.  I might have fallen asleep with him for a while.  Good thing I have an alarm on my phone for 15 minutes before the girls get home.  Seriously, how did people parent before smartphones??

BJ brought home a pizza, but no one was really hungry because they'd all had ice cream.  Well, Jack wasn't hungry because of his cold.  He didn't get ice cream.  Poor baby.  BJ played with the kids all evening while I did all the stuff I had meant to do during Jack's nap.

We had planned to finally repaint the shabby chic front porch today, but Hurricane Issac just arrived, and it's pouring.  In fact, Issac is promising to be such a bastard that the city cancelled a festival that I had planned to take the kids to today.  *sigh*

But...  I got the checking account set up, eventually.  I got all the stuff done for GS that I had meant to do, except the shopping, which can wait until after payday anyway.  I don't mind having an inside day to clean once BJ and the girls get home (they're at Home Depot doing the free craft.  Do you know about these?  Lots of hardware stores do free crafts for kids on weekends.  The girls love using real tools and stuff).  We have lots of leftover pizza, so I don't have to worry about cooking.  I have (indoor) plans with my friends tonight - our 5th annual SPOONS party.  It's always hilarious and fun.  Tomorrow night BJ and I are going to see a show, and his mom is staying with the kids.  Date night!  And he's taking Monday off, so maybe we can paint the porch for Labor day.

It'll all be ok.  It's just funny how sometimes nothing goes the way you think it will.

Enjoy your weekend!


Kim Curry said...

I'm still sorry we missed you, but I hope we'll make it out your way again another time.

Amy Austin said...

Sorry we missed you, too, Kim!