Sunday, December 23, 2007

And we're back...

Sorry for the drama. Had a bad day.

We went to Chicago on Friday and saw Wicked. If you get the chance, go see it. It was fantastic. I can't wait to get the soundtrack. I may have to download it. Not sure I can wait long enough to get an actual CD (who does CDs anymore, anyway? I am so old).

My cousin Kelly came up and watched the girlies for us while we went to the show, which was one of those "Circle of Life" moments for me, because when she was a baby, I did the same thing for her parents. She is an awesome babysitter, and I am completely bummed that I haven't managed to talk her into coming to college at The Big University in town, because it would be awesome to have her here. I may not be able to offer her a scholarship like the school in Grammaland did, but I could offer her free room and board in exchange for Nannying services.

She's going to be a NICU nurse. If her touch with my kids is any indication, she's going to be awesome. She really has a gift. I mean, she had both the kids asleep by the time we got back, and they didn't even have tear tracks on their faces. BJ and I can't get the girls to sleep without them crying half the time.

On Saturday we got up and had breakfast with all the other business owners and their families, and then we all went our own ways to go shopping. They were going to the American Girl store. I haven't let myself go in there since MG was born. I don't want to start it. That stuff is expensive and it's like a drug - once you get a little, you get hooked. I don't want to have to sell Claire to support MG's doll habit, you know?

Instead, we went to Marshall Field's (yes, I know they changed their name, but I refuse to cooperate with the name change. It will always be Field's to me). We bought some Frangos, and then we went to the toy area. MG and C were hilarious with all the giant "guys." We got some great pictures before the Toy Soldier/bouncer guy told us to knock it off. Claire was so excited, she kept clapping and bouncing up and down.

We were going to have tea in the Walnut Room, but the line was forever. We went to Mrs. Fields for cookies instead. But not before we got a few great pictures. We used to go to Chicago with my grandma at Christmas time, so it was another "Circle of Life" moment for me to take my kids there.

On the way out, a random shopper (a little old lady with this crazy sparkly hat) sat down at a piano and started to play Christmas songs. We sat and listened and sang for a while. MG danced. It was a great time.

After lunch at the Rock and Roll McDonald's (which used to rock and roll a lot more), we headed back to Grammaland to drop Kelly off, and then back home.

Pictures coming right up.

No comments: