Tuesday, December 18, 2007

WFMW: Restaurant Supply

My mom owns a ballroom. They host weddings, mainly, along with other events (showers, parties, bar mitzvahs, business meetings, etc.). They get a lot of their food from Gordon's Food Service, or GFS.

I didn't know a thing about GFS before Mom opened her business, 10 years ago. But now, I can't imagine how anyone throws a party without them. You can buy restaurant quality food, in bulk, at extremely reasonable prices. A lot of it is pre-made (especially the desserts and appetizers, which are identical to what you'd buy in a restaurant). The shrimp is fantastic. You might think that you'd have to buy everything in 50 gallon drums, but you'd be surprised... a lot of the stuff they sell is in reasonable quantities (in other words, quantities that a normal family will be able to consume before it goes bad).

I was there last week, and I bought mini quiches for my sister's Christmas party. While I was there, I picked up a bottle of Toasted Marshmallow syrup, which is unspeakably good in hot chocolate. I also got two new half-sheet pans for making cookies (larger and nicer than the cookie sheets you buy elsewhere).

Best of all, unlike Sam's Club and Costco, there is no membership fee. I just wish they sold diapers.

So, if you have a restaurant supply store in your town, call and ask if they sell to the public. You can get awesome food at reasonable prices, and it just might make planning your next party a lot easier. Be careful though - you might get the same reputation I have for always making entirely too much food for a party.

Are you here for WFMW? Check out my other tips:

How to pack a smaller diaper bag.
How to make Mush McPuna.
How to organize your Christmas list.
How to breathe new life into your lamps with spray paint.
How to use calling cards to give the illusion that you have it all together.
How to use GCal (again) for menu planning.
How to save yourself time in the kitchen with a hot water tap.
How to tie your shoes if you have lollypop thumbs like me.
How to feel good about spending insane money at Christmas.
How to prevent dryer fires.
How to use Google Calendar to organize your family.
How to save a zillion dollars with the Magic Bullet.
How to quickly cool Mac & Cheese.
How to soothe a teething baby without whiskey - oops! I mean Tylenol.
How to do Time Outs correctly.
How to improvise a changing table.
How to get a baby and a toddler into the car.
How to keep your house decluttered with an old waitressing mantra.
How to find a great baby sling.
How to manage your grocery list online.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again soon!

Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for more WFMW tips!

1 comment:

Scribbit said...

There's a supply place here that I buy from that is terrific. Love being able to get great stuff cheaply.