Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday's Odds and Ends

Day 7 of my confinement... Mary Grace finally got over the fever (but still has the cough) on Saturday. We went to a family event on Sunday, where Claire took it upon herself to spike a 102.5 degree fever. Claire and I stayed home yesterday, while BJ took MG to gymnastics. The girls and I stayed home today.

I've tried not to complain about it, because 1) there are plenty of people out there dealing with a lot worse than a random fever and a cough, and 2) whenever I mention that we're sick, again, people always say, "JEEZ, you guys are sick all the time!" I promise we're not any sicker than any other family with two toddlers. Remember that the kids don't have fully functioning immune systems yet. And, if current research is to be believed, it's actually good for their long-term health to be sick a lot (in other words, to be exposed to a lot and to learn to fight off a lot) now. They'll be less susceptible to allergies and whatnot, from what I understand, if I let them eat dirt and dog food now. Also, I complain a lot.

Speaking of dog food, apparently I'm a bad mother for letting Claire eat dog food a year ago. But it was so flipping funny that I'm going to post it again.



For the record, I did take it out of her mouth once she'd attempted to eat it. I don't believe she ever actually swallowed any dog food. I still love that song.

Mary Grace told me today that she is going to be "a doctor or a scientist" when she grows up. I guess my brainwashing experiment is an early success. If I can sustain it for the next 15 - 20 years, we're golden.

I did sneak out tonight to have dinner with an old friend, while BJ stayed home with the babies. It took me about half an hour to stop talking about the babies, but I eventually managed, and had a very nice time reminiscing about my happiest high school year. It's hard to believe that the year in question was seventeen years ago! Yikes. Won't be long before we'll be talking about how we walked to school, uphill both ways, etc.

I actually helped BJ write a part of a proposal for work today, in the midst of all the snotty noses and whatnot. I really need to get to the office to catch up on things. I haven't been to the office since Friday the 13th! I've worked (a bit) from home, but still. How do you moms who aren't married to the boss manage it? I would've been fired long ago if I weren't getting preferential treatment.

Fevers or not, I am declaring everyone "Better" tomorrow. I can't take this anymore.

3 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Hoping that today is going better...

Abby got a piece of dog food swallowed right as I lunged to get it from her. I think it was about a year ago, too. Silly children!

Heidi said...

I just watched your video with my 3.5 year old. He yelled "Cassie (his sister's name) don't eat the dog food. It's icky!" Not that THAT stopped him from trying it once last year...

Anonymous said...

That video is hilarious! Sometimes Babble is cool, and sometimes they have a stick up their butt. I was dared to eat dog food when I was 4 or 5. I still remember how it tastes... salty and gritty. All in all it wasn't bad, but I wasn't going to make it a regular snack food and I'm sure your daughter didn't either!