Monday, February 16, 2009

We Are Outmatched

We're being hardasses about the whole bedtime thing around here, because, frankly, I can't take it anymore. So, instead of laying with MG until she's sound asleep, then springing all the little bio-traps she's set for you (laying a strand of hair under your arm so that it'll pull when you try to stand up and wake her... so she can cry and beg you to stay), then laying there with MG until I'm sound asleep, we've been waiting until Claire's asleep, then I snuggle with her for a bit, and then we leave her in her room, and we go into our room (approximately 6 feet down the hall) and hang out and wait until she falls asleep, when we leap down the stairs shouting, "Hooray!" in a stage whisper.

So, that's where I am right now - it's 10 till 10, and she's in her room pouting, and has been since about 8:15, and we're in our room. We put away laundry, and now we're checking e-mail and watching Chuck.

MG came in a few minutes ago and said, "I can't find my dolphin!!!" and cried. I said, "He's probably in your bed, go look," but BJ, being a soft touch, went to help her find him.

He looked on the right side of her bed. It wasn't there. Then he looked on the left side.

Then MG rolled over.

She was hiding the dolphin behind her back.

Is it just me, or is that rather advanced and deceptive for a preschooler?? If she's this sneaky now, imagine what our lives are going to be like in 10 years. Oh my.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hang in there and be consistent. A little bit of pain now is better than a ton of pain later! Usually Katelynn's bedtime is between 8 & 8:30. Of course if we're out at night, it could be around 9 and we do have to roll with the punches when family is around. But the majority of the time, it's 8pm with no negotiations.

I want to be a softie too and let her do whatever, but I know that's not good for her in the long run. I hate hearing her cry especially when I know everything has been taken care of. But that's life I guess! :)

Anonymous said...

this is what they call 'a kid having your number'. you're bigger and smarter... you'll be fine!

Kathryn said...

Ouch - what a pain in the short run but DEFINATELY worth it in the long run. I have been loving known as "the sleep nazi" around here since Kelly was a baby and now I have 2 fabulous sleepers - anywhere, anytime. And let me tell you - little Miss Kelly really gave us a run for our money. When she was about 2 (maybe younger - it was a LONG time ago) she could actually puke on command. She would stand at the rail of her crib wailing and when we didn't come running in to save her she would puke. Not the entire contents of her stomach, but just enough that her crib linens would need to be changed. So in essence she won the battle because we had to take her out to clean it up, but not the war. After a couple of nights of this I lined the crib with layers of towels and blankets that could be stripped away one layer at a time until she gave up. Since I didn't have to remake the entire crib - I just pulled out a layer - she didn't get sprung from the big nasty crib to sit with daddy until the mess was cleaned up.
Maw ha ha!! It didn't take long before she figured out it wasn't going to work anymore. Some long nights of wailing and puking took place and it really really REALLY makes you want to give in, but I know you and BJ can stand tough!! Good Luck and the B&B is always open if you need encouragement!