Saturday, February 21, 2009

Social Media Overload

In one window - Tweetdeck - learning how to use it during a TwitterParty for #typeamom. I don't know what that means, but I faked it successfully for an hour. Following #typeamom and #BlogHer09 and #Caroline (the missing girl from Chicago, who was found tonight, alive!), as well as my friend feed and direct messages and @ replies. (I know, none of this makes sense to anyone over like 40, it's ok).

In the next window - Firefox - and my usual line up of websites - Gmail, Google Reader, Google Calendar, Facebook, and this blog.

All was going well, I was keeping up with most of the tweets. Then my mom chatted me. Ok, I can handle this. Gchat and Twitter, no big deal.

But then BJ chatted me in Facebook (he's sitting right next to me, by the way), and my brain exploded.

I left the TwitterParty, told BJ to behave, and stopped obsessively following everything. Now I'm chatting with Mom and writing this, while the Twitter Friend Feed doinks fruitlessly in the background. Manageable chaos.

Web 2.0 really ought to have a warning label.

2 comments:

Momo Fali said...

I was doing that the other day..I was on Facebook and G-chat and then the phone rang. It was at that moment that I realized the limit of my multi-tasking abilities.

Anonymous said...

I have never, ever in my life felt so old as I do after reading that post.

Never.

I think I used to be smarter.