Thursday, February 26, 2009

Depression Cooking

Wasn't I just saying a couple of weeks ago that we have a lot to learn from the generation that lived through the Depression? I guess I'm not the only one who thinks so... Check this out:



How cute is she? I love her! But I'm not sure I'd love that pasta. What a gift to the world, to capture a voice like this. Beautiful. I can't wait to get the kids to bed so I can watch the rest of the episodes.

But the way she cuts potatoes makes me cringe! Granny! Don't cut your thumb off!!!

Busy posting day today... Hope I'm not annoying you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my mother and grandmother talking about the depression and things they experienced. Here is a recipe my grandmother used to fix a lot.

DEPRESSION POTATO PIE (serves 6) from Elsa Jenkins
9" double pastry shell
1 T. flour
1 qt. potatoes-peeled & sliced
1/4 C. milk
salt to taste
**Place potatoes in pan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Add butter, milk, and salt. Stir in 1 T. flour mixed with a little water for thickening. Dip out potatoes into the shell. Add 1/2 of the liquid. Put on top crust. Bake 450 - 15 min., then reduce heat to 325 for 45 min.
**Meanwhile, leave 1/2 doz. or so slices potatoes in pot with remaining liquid. Simmer until potatoes are done. Thicken liquid (like a white sauce) & add 1 T. butter.
**Slice pie into wedges and serve potato slice liquid over each pie wedge.
**(Note: this was often served with a side of greens)

Anonymous said...

I wish she hadn't peeled the potatoes. I suspect most of the nutritional value of that meal went into the garbage.

My ancestors used to talk about having fried chicken for dinner, and one chicken would feed their family of seven.

adymommy said...

I cut potatoes like that. And peppers, onions, celery, carrots, apples, etc etc. I rarely use a cutting board. Drives my husband CRAZY! My mom and aunt taught me to hold and cut. I'm not sure if it was because they didn't own a cutting board or they just didn't want another dish to wash:)

Thanks for sharing this find. It is really cool.