Last night I took her some lentil soup, saying, "If we can't get you to start labor, we'll give you gas and blow the baby out!!" and her mom gave her a foot massage, and one or both of those things did the trick. She was only in labor about 4 hours, too. "Ooohh..." I said, "You did it Amy Style!"
So here's the recipe for:
Labor Inducing Lentil Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package of dried lentils, rinsed, sorted, and drained
- 8 cups water
- 1 package of fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.
Congratulations to Karen, Jim, Owen, and Cameron!