Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Oh Boy/Going You're NOT!

I made an appointment for my "yearly" today with the OB/GYN who delivered MG and C (well, I did all the work, he caught them...), and the woman on the phone said, "You know that Dr. Scott is leaving, right?"

"NO!" I sobbed into the phone.

"Yes, he's leaving in July."

I am not speaking with the slightest bit of hyperbole when I say that I would have gotten pregnant last fall if I had known that he was leaving. I am NOT prepared to break in another OB. Not at all.

There are only going to be two OBs left within the "A Clinic" (locals will know what group I'm referring to). One of them put me on bedrest when I was pregnant with MG, is extremely conservative (in other words, just LOVES to interfere with the normal birth process), has a terrible bedside manner. I wouldn't let him deliver Max's puppies, much less my baby. The other one, a woman, I don't know anything about.

"Well, neither of them are taking new patients anyway," said the woman on the phone.

"So what am I supposed to do if I get pregnant?" I asked.

"New patients will be seeing the nurse practitioners..."

"That is unacceptable," I said. "I have had two high risk pregnancies. I need a doctor... I'm not going to just take potluck, either..." I started to sputter. "Can my family doctor, Dr. MWMH, catch my babies? We've talked about it. He used to do obstetrics up north, but came down here and focused on family practice..."

She put me on hold so she could ask, came back, and said, "No."

I am NOT amused. How is this health care?

Well, I e-mailed our insurance agent, and it turns out that the local women's clinic is covered by our insurance company. However, they don't have privileges at the new hospital. NARG! I guess it's ok. Karen (who STILL hasn't had her baby!) has been happy with the doctors there.

I'm still going to see Dr. Scott on Thursday and give him a piece of my mind, though. What is he thinking? He can't just leave! I feel like I've been dumped. It's the stupidest thing, because I know that he's not basing this decision on whether or not BJ and I may want to have a third child in the future. He has to do what's best for his family... But still, gosh, I really don't want to have a baby with any other doctor.

And I was really looking forward to having a baby in a brand new, state of the art hospital. *sigh* Oh well, the old one is closer to our house.

Aside from that, today was a very happy birthday to me! Unka' Chuck and Bumpa came over to go to gymnastics with the girls and me. Then we all met BJ for lunch. It was a fun day, with lots of unexpected and amazing gifts. After BJ got home, we went to spend my Barnes & Noble gift card (it was burning a hole in my pocket!!), then out for dinner at Red Lobster.

"The kids" got me a CD and an emergency charger for all my gadgets. BJ is the most thoughtful gift buyer. I really need to try to be more like him.

I hope your April 13 was happy, too.

4 comments:

Amy Beth said...

I also just found out that my OB/GYN is leaving in June and my best friend and I both decided that we are now 100% sure we aren't having anymore kids. I was 98% sure, but that really put me over the edge. I just wouldn't trust me and my complications to any other doctor. I feel for ya!

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry that your doc is leaving, that sucks. There are a lot of unhappy patients in town, lemme tell ya!
Just wanted to let you know, if you can find a Women's clinic doc you are happy with, that our new St E/Home hospital (out by Unity) will be opening around the end of the year, or early spring. So you may still get that new hospital experience you are hoping for, if you decide to wait :)
Glad you had a good birthday!
Chelsea

Rob Monroe said...

I cried - actual tears - when I had to leave my last nephritis because of the 1.5 hour commute to get to his office. I stayed with him for almost a year, with that commute, after moving to Maryland. I was one of his first patients, his first patient the day after his daughter was born, etc.

A good doctor is hard to find, and he should indeed be scolded for moving. :o)

Jen said...

You're silly. Get a hold of me you nerd... I worked on the WOMEN'S UNIT AND POSTPARTUM in your hometown...
I worked very directly with most of the MD's you're talking about, at both clinics... I can definitely make suggestions...