Thursday, October 30, 2008

Playing Catch-Up

I was at a conference all day today for work (we got an award that's two pieces of glass, and there's no way to hook them together. I guess we need some superglue?! But it's pretty and it's an award, so whatever...) and I'm trying to quickly catch up on my e-mail, blogs, and SP before I take the kids to get pumpkins to make into jack o' lanterns tonight...

I wanted to address a couple comments real quick, though, lest they get old...

Anon 1 - Jen is one of my best friends, and when she says, "I told you months ago," I know what spirit she intends it to be taken in. When you've known someone for 18 years, you get to use shorthand. Besides, she's been on WW for a while, now, so she knows what she's talking about.

Having known someone for 18 years makes me feel extremely old.

In other news... A little old lady was coming up the hill into town in front of me, and was going 35 in a 55. She pulled over, then was shading her eyes and bending forward as I passed her. I thought, "OMG, old lady having a stroke!" and pulled over. She looked just like BJ's grandmother. As I approached her car, she started to get out. I started to run, thinking that she was confused and about to walk into traffic. "ARE YOU OK?" I shouted as I approached. I couldn't hear her reply. "What's wrong, what's wrong?" I said, taking her arm.... "I just wanted to take some pictures..." she said, showing me her little disposible camera.

I felt kinda stupid.

Anon 2 - Long time readers of ye ol' blog know that I'm a huge advocate of eating locally. Our food co-op just ended for the year (I still have a few random things in the crisper). We buy our beef from a relative who raises cattle about an hour south of here, and it's grain fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, etc. etc. We drink the ultra-expensive organic milk (you thought GAS was expensive this summer - $6-$7 a GALLON for this stuff!!). Thanks for continuing to beat the drum!

ChicagoGoebel - I said a year too. MG went for 28 months, and Claire is still going at 19 months, the little addicts. I nursed through my whole pregnancy with Claire and for 9 months after Claire was born I nursed both of them. IT SUCKED (pun intended) and I highly recommend that no one attempt it, holy carp...

Seriously, someone needs to start a 12 step program for extended nursers. The first step is admitting that your mom's boobs have a problem...

Tootsie - I'm trying to stay around 1500 calories. It's not much, but I'm doing ok so far. SparkRecipes.com has a recipe calculator, and you can share your recipes with the rest of the class and EASILY add them as a "custom food" in your daily menu.

Stupid conference totally blew my diet today, even though I scraped all the cheese off of the sandwich, only ate half the fries, and just nibbled at the dessert. I should have asked for the veg plate, but it was a wrap that was mostly sprouts, and I hate sprouts, and it looked terrible. Oh well, I did ok, and tomorrow's another day.

Wait a minute, tomorrow's Halloween. Screw it, Saturday's another day.

We're going to go get our punkins now. Couldn't do the punkin patch this year, because everyone's been sick this week.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow. I never thought that comment could have been taken so negatively! I HOPE you know what I meant... it was more or less just me stating that I knew you could do it, you just needed that plan that YOU were comfortable with, not one that was working for ME. I think you know what I meant. I am endlessly excited for you, and will do WHATEVER I can to encourage and help you along... sorry if that was taken the wrong way, but thanks for sticking up for me... :) Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for buying your summer produce from a co-op and for buying organic beef. That's a start. And that's more than a lot of people do.
After yesterday's conference, now you know that it would be a good idea to carry food with you so you don't get stuck eating something that isn't very good for you. Bring along apples or bananas, a bag of raw almonds, whole grain crackers, etc. -- all organic, of course!