Thursday, June 28, 2007

Saw Cows Today!

Claire fell asleep in the car while we were out running errands, so MG and I decided to drive around and look for trains and stuff. I drove through downtown, ended up lost, then found, and then I saw a bunch of cows right in the middle of someone's yard - in town! Crazy!! So, since MG is a big fan of cows in general, we stopped to check them out.

"He's eatin' the ground!" she said, gleefully. "He's eatin' the grass. He's eatin' the sticks." The big, black cows were so close - probably 20 feet from the car. There were four big cows and two babies.

"Ok," I said after a while, "Time to go! Bye Cows!"

"Get back in the barn!" she ordered. There was no barn in sight. How cute that she knows that cows live in barns.

***

I put Claire in the Exersaucer for the first time last night. (It's not exactly like that one, but that's close enough to get the gist...). I would've taken pictures, except that I had to stay alert. Mary Grace said, "I can spin our Claire!" and proceeded to fling her around in circles in the manner of a Tilt a Whirl. Claire, to her credit, was not at all freaked out by this experience. I am beginning to suspect that she's taking valium or something. Seriously, this is one mellow child. She just held on and blinked a lot, and sort of looked at me as if to say, "Are you freaking kidding?"

After I stopped laughing, I explained to Mary Grace that spinning Claire would cause her to "spit the milk" (which is what MG calls spitting up), and that I thought Claire would like it a lot more if we played gently, and without spinning.

***

I don't like to leave Claire on the floor, for her own safety. Max doesn't always watch where she's going, and neither does Mary Grace. A couple of days ago it seemed like a good idea to put her in the bathtub (without water) for a few minutes so I could do something. The tub is molded plastic, and she can sit up well enough that I figured it would work for a couple minutes. And it did... Until Mary Grace found her.

"Our Claire is in the boat! I can push our Claire!!" As she tries to slide the tub across the carpet (and succeeded more than you would've expected). Ack! Claire was characteristically very calm about the whole thing, though.

***

Today when I was putting Mary Grace down for nap, she insisted that she needed to hold Claire's hand.

No comments: