Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Caution! Genetics at Work

Well, I took MG to the doctor yesterday to talk about her polka dots, and he said, "You know, it was probably the antibiotic. Give her another dose when you get home and see what happens."

I don't like doing science on my kid.

He did give me some "non-drowsy antihistamine" to give her instead of Benedryl. So far every adult I've mentioned it to has said, "What's the point of that?"

So, I called first thing this morning, and they're going to figure out what we should do (keep giving her the amoxicillin and lots of Benedryl? Switch to something else? Quit altogether because when he looked at her ear yesterday it was all better? Amputate?).

BJ's mom also is sensitive to antibiotics. She told me that hives aren't a true allergy, they're a side effect. I was worried that the hives would somehow lead to breathing problems, maybe with repeated exposures (in fact, I debated about whether or not to follow the doctor's instructions at all), but if they're two different reactions, I don't have to worry about that anymore. (Edited to add - be sure to read this post if you have read this paragraph).

I guess it's better than chicken pox. And my faith in vaccines is restored. It's so interesting to see pieces of our parents in our kids (even if it is annoying things like hives).

No comments: