Wednesday, March 12, 2008

WFMW: Teach your baby to use a straw

Is this stupid or what? It drove me nuts when Mary Grace was little that she couldn't figure out how to use a straw. I figured (correctly) that life would be SO much easier when we could quit taking sippy cups with us everywhere because straws are readily available and easier to use. But try as I did to explain to her how to do it, (including such helpful instructions as, "Nurse it!" Upon hearing this she looked at me like I was completely out of my mind). Here's how we finally figured it out.

First step - get something tasty and put it in a cup. Put a straw in it and hold your finger over the top end of the straw, so that the liquid stays inside the straw. Dribble it into the baby's mouth by lifting your finger off of the end of the straw. Repeat.

Now you've taught your baby that good things come from straws.

Second step - do the exact same thing except don't remove your finger. Make her work for it. She'll have to suck on it to get the good stuff.

Third step - gradually start lowering the straw so that instead of being above her mouth, it's even with her mouth, then below her mouth.

Finally, stick the end of the straw that formerly had your finger on it into the Coke apple juice. The baby should suck and get the root beer milk with no further trouble!

It may take several applications before this works, but it worked for me!

Are you here for WFMW? Check out my other tips:

How to make money with Daytipper.
How to have fun with your kids in the snow.
How to save money when shopping online.
How to prevent frozen hands when sledding.
How to prevent disease with a handy new product (update, it worked - we never got sick!)
How to easily feed a crowd.
How to pack a smaller diaper bag.
How to make Mush McPuna.
How to organize your Christmas list.
How to breathe new life into your lamps with spray paint.
How to use calling cards to give the illusion that you have it all together.
How to use GCal (again) for menu planning.
How to save yourself time in the kitchen with a hot water tap.
How to tie your shoes if you have lollypop thumbs like me.
How to feel good about spending insane money at Christmas.
How to prevent dryer fires.
How to use Google Calendar to organize your family.
How to save a zillion dollars with the Magic Bullet.
How to quickly cool Mac & Cheese.
How to soothe a teething baby without whiskey - oops! I mean Tylenol.
How to do Time Outs correctly.
How to improvise a changing table.
How to get a baby and a toddler into the car.
How to keep your house decluttered with an old waitressing mantra.
How to find a great baby sling.
How to manage your grocery list online.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again soon!

Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for more WFMW tips!

6 comments:

Wade's World said...

Thanks so much for this tip. We have been trying to get our son to drink out of a straw, and it is so frustrating!! I kept saying to DH, "How do you teach this." Thanks for an idea. I am definitely going to give it a try.

Heart of Wisdom said...

Thanks for the tip. Ingenious actually!
Robin@heartofwisdom
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

Amy said...

You may want to carry a few bendy straws with you, since not all restaurants/food courts stock them (or some will charge you for a kids' cup). My daughter is still a little uncertain with straws that don't bend, because they sit so much higher off the table. I stuck a couple in a full-toothbrush cover and tossed it in our bag.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Great tip! This is exactly the method our daughter's occupational therapist used (and taught u to use).

Anonymous said...

Without meaning to, I just taught my 4 1/2 month old daughter how to use a straw using just this method! She liked to lick the condensation on the outside of cold drinks so I started to drop small amounts of cold water into her mouth at a restaurant when she was getting fussy. Next thing I knew, she was so excited that she began grabbing the straw away from me. I was curious to see if she suck on her own so I put the straw in the water and darned if she didn't start sucking up little sips from the glass! Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Straight to the point and well written! Why can’t everyone else be like this?