Tuesday, January 15, 2008

WFMW: Let them eat soup!

Claire (10 months old) is on table food now, which is great except that it's winter and I like to make soup for dinner. And trying to feed a baby soup is like trying to paint with a turkey baster. So, last night I made Tuscan White Bean soup (Alessi - MMMMM!) and instead of pouring off all the broth and feeding her just the beans and noodles, or making her something else, I just tore up pieces of bread, tossed them into the soup, and fed her chunks of soupy bread. It was much neater.

This is totally not rocket science, but anyone who has seen all the stains on our dining room carpet will know that it was news to me! I can't wait to try it with chili.

So, let them eat bread.

Are you here for WFMW? Check out my other tips:

How to prevent disease with a handy new product (update, it worked - we never got sick!)
How to easily feed a crowd.
How to pack a smaller diaper bag.
How to make Mush McPuna.
How to organize your Christmas list.
How to breathe new life into your lamps with spray paint.
How to use calling cards to give the illusion that you have it all together.
How to use GCal (again) for menu planning.
How to save yourself time in the kitchen with a hot water tap.
How to tie your shoes if you have lollypop thumbs like me.
How to feel good about spending insane money at Christmas.
How to prevent dryer fires.
How to use Google Calendar to organize your family.
How to save a zillion dollars with the Magic Bullet.
How to quickly cool Mac & Cheese.
How to soothe a teething baby without whiskey - oops! I mean Tylenol.
How to do Time Outs correctly.
How to improvise a changing table.
How to get a baby and a toddler into the car.
How to keep your house decluttered with an old waitressing mantra.
How to find a great baby sling.
How to manage your grocery list online.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you again soon!

Visit Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for more WFMW tips!

11 comments:

Phyllis Sommer said...

ooh soupy bread - genius! i just try to make really thick chunky soups so the baby has a lot to pick up and eat...but this is great!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea and so yummy for baby!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

I'll have to remember this one! Thanks.

Thia said...

I did this with sloppy joe the other night. I broke the bun up in a bowl and mixed the meat in with it.
I have also heard of people using instant mashed potatoes to thicken soups for the kids.

Wifey said...

I do this a lot for my 2 year old - she loves it and it keeps the dining room a lot cleaner!

Susan said...

Oh, thanks for the tip. Why didn't I think of that????

JoAnn said...

I do a little of this. I also put soup (and just about anything else) through a Happy Baby Food Grinder.

SAHMmy Says said...

Great idea! I just made a bean/pasta soup for my baby last week! The first round was brothy (thickened up as it cooled)--will remember the bread idea for the next batch!

Unknown said...

Great idea! (and having a kid is why I am thankful for tile floors!)

Unknown said...

I used to put soup in a bottle.
Worked great.

Feel welcome to visit "works for me" at my blog

Laane on the World

Have a great day!!!

HomeSchool Mommy said...

This is a great idea! When my daughter was a baby, I crumbled crackers in it until they had absorbed the soup...then, she could feed herself a mushy soup...much easier and neater!

http;//homeschoolmommyfromoklahoma.blogspot.com