Monday, June 23, 2008

6 Quirks Meme

The rules are to link the person who sent it to you (Mandy at Piaku!), mention these rules in your blog, then (the fun part) tell us about 6 random, unspectacular quirks that you possess. Then tag 6 others to do the same.

How am I supposed to narrow it down to six??

1) I am a magical thinker. I think that I can avert events by anticipating them. It's always the stuff that you never imagined that happened, right? So, if I think about every possible bad thing that could happen, I feel like I've somehow avoided them. I realize that this is insane, but realizing it doesn't make me do it any less.

2) I can only carry things (my purse, my kids) on my left side.

3) I remember song lyrics to songs that I haven't heard in years. In fact, if I need to memorize something, all I have to do is turn it into a song and it's burned into my memory forever. Remember this annoying McDonalds ad? I still know all the words. See, I had a paper route when they put the record album (yes, I'm that old) in the paper with the song on it, and if the singers got all the way through, you won a million dollars or something. They sang it 3x per record, and I had 50 customers on my route. Of course I stole all the records out of all the papers and played them all to try to win. I didn't, but I still know the song, and that, friends, is the gift that keeps on giving!

4) I look like an idiot in glasses and hats. There isn't a single pair of glasses or a single hat on the planet that doesn't make me look stupid. I think my head is shaped funny or something.

5) I don't mind doing things alone. For example, it has come to my attention that there are people on this planet who won't see movies by themselves. I think this is silly, because you aren't supposed to talk during movies, anyway, so what difference does it make whether you know the person next to you or not? I also don't mind going to restaurants alone. I just take a good book. I am comfortable traveling alone, too. A lot of people (especially women) aren't. It just doesn't bother me. I don't know if that makes me antisocial, independent, or just weird, but there it is. I'm comfortable with my own company, I guess. Of course, I prefer to be with people, but if all my people are busy or whatever, no big deal. Last night I saw Sex In The City by myself (there's a lot more sex in the city when you're not watching the edited for TBS version! Holy full frontal of the male neighbor, Batman! I'm relieved that I didn't call my dad to see if he wanted to go. Hello, awkward!)

6) I am a jack of all trades, master of none. I can do a lot of stuff passably, but I'm not an expert at anything. I also have a really terrible memory, and I sometimes wonder if these two quirks aren't related - maybe if I could remember stuff I'd be better at stuff. Right? Maybe that's why I love to write, because if I write stuff down, I don't have to worry about forgetting it.

Instead of the Usual Suspects, I tag...

Charlotte at Harrington Family Blog
Amy at Doobleh-Vay
Becky at sailing.....
Cary at List of the Day
Casey at moosh in indy and
Lisa at Clusterfook

Just to be new and different... :)

2 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

I can do the car thing alone, but I can't bring myself to eat in a restaurant alone. I will opt for in the car before sitting at a table....

I don't think you're weird. I think I am!

Anonymous said...

Aw. I was just going to leave you a note in your comments that I had tagged you. Man are you on top of things! :-) Love your list, btw.