Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Progress

Both bathrooms are clean, the laundry is laundering, the kitchen is clean and the dishwasher is ready for new, dirty dinner dishes to be loaded. I need to vacuum, but my kid sister keeps hassling me to write part of her wedding ceremony! No pressure or anything, it's just going to be on video for all posterity for the rest of time. I can't do it, because I'm afraid that she'll hate it, or he'll hate it, or they will both hate it together. It's just too much pressure! And I have to give a toast, too! *headdesk*

It is especially difficult because I am haunted, yes haunted, by what the minister said during our wedding ceremony. He said, and I have the video to prove it, "The great theologian, Tina Turner, once asked, 'What's love got to do with it?'"

Granted, I know this is 100% my fault. I asked him to say something personal - something off script - to make the service memorable. But Tina Turner??? A) wrong decade, we're more of a Janet Jackson age; B) her husband beat the tar out of her until C) she left him!

Not exactly the sort of imagery I want to evoke during my wedding ceremony. People still laugh about it. At least it was memorable...

So, dear readers, I need your help. Tell me about the best wedding words you've ever heard spoken. It could be your wedding, someone else's, even one that you saw on TV or in a movie. What wedding words have moved you to tears? What do you wish someone said at your wedding? And, perhaps most importantly, what do you wish had been left unsaid?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stick with the sentimental. People prefer that to the ball and chain cracks.

I'm cranky or I'd have better answers ... sorry! LOL

Rob Monroe said...

Wow, that IS progress!

Best wedding words? I have some worst words:

"Is she allowed to wear white?"
(said by my father, to me, in the presence of my now-wife.)

Anonymous said...

I am not joking when I tell you that my husband's uncle said, during his speech, "Shawna's got balls."

I have mixed feelings on whether that should have gone unsaid or not (kind of scandalized; kind of proud of it), but it certainly was memorable.