Friday, June 27, 2008

The ExpHAIRiment, Day 4

I have screwed up the ExpHAIRiment. You're only supposed to apply the apple cider vinegar to the ends of your hair. I've been putting it all over. Consequently, I am greasy. Very greasy. In fact, if we could figure out how to collect the hair grease and use it to power our engines, I could singlehandedly end our dependence on the Middle East for oil.

Ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but it's bad.

The thing is, this oiliness feels somehow healthier than the oiliness I've experienced in the past when I've skipped a shower. My scalp doesn't itch. It doesn't look fabulous (but I haven't showered yet!), but it doesn't feel gross. It just looks gross.

So, the ExpHAIRiment continues. I'm going to shower in a few minutes, and I'll be careful to apply the vinegar only to the (quite damaged, still need a haircut) ends of my hair. I'll keep you posted.

Meanwhile, there has been no overnight news from T, however, I don't think we're on her "call in the middle of the night" list. We're more in the "they'll hear about it soon enough" category. BJ often works out at the lab at the University where T's husband works, so I'm sure if there's news, he'll get it when he gets out there. I am resisting the urge to call and check on them. I did call and leave a message last night that said, "Hey, I hear you're in labor. I'll come and take video if you want. You'll never know I'm there!" See, we'd talked about whether or not to videotape labor when we went out for dinner a couple weeks ago. T said that she didn't want her husband to be so worried about the camera that he wasn't fully present for the big event, or so worried about it that he wasn't focused on her. I said I had the perfect solution - I could come videotape the birth, and then they could focus on each other! A lot of nervous laughter, and a couple of those marital glances where the couple can read each others thoughts, and the thoughts are, "If you agree to this I will kill you," followed. Nevertheless, I've been hoping ever since that they'd call and say, "We thought about it and we want you to tape our birth!"

The call never came, obviously, but I just want to extend the offer to all of you - I will be happy to quietly and unobtrusively videotape your labor and childbirth if you want me to. I was in the room when my brother was born, but I was 3 so the memories are pretty fuzzy. Since then, I've always been a bit busy and distracted when I've attended a childbirth, mainly because I was the one birthing the child. I think it would be amazing and wonderful to see it from the other side - you know, the side that isn't in labor.

So, e-mail me or call if you're pregnant (SAUNDRA!) and you think you'd like to have a very professional, very symapthetic videographer present for the Big Day. I promise that I will give you all copies of the tape, and I will bring chocolate and a post-partum bottle of champagne. Did I mention that I'm really good at massage?

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should stop by the hospital after I drop the kids off at Dawn's today. On the one hand, T didn't visit me in the hospital after my kids were born. On the other hand, she's a lot busier than I am, and if I'm going to go up there, I don't want to bring my kids, and today may be my best opportunity to do that. I think it'll be ok if I show up with a present for the baby and some chocolate. What do you think?

4 comments:

National Capital Presbytery said...

We craved fresh fruit over chocolate, but I would definately say that you should stop by with something.

You're welcome to try to videotape our next. I hear it won't be nearly as exciting, though.

We were once on a "middle of the night call" list when we did not want to be! That really sucked. It was a co-worker of Anny's, but it could have waited until 5:30 rather than 2 am.

I don't have ends to my hair (hooray for buzz cut) but I might join your expHAIRiment soon. My scalp is frustrating me.

BTW - we us my freshly cut hair as fert-hair-lizer on our garden. :o) It's a little weird, but a really cool way to recycle.

Rob Monroe said...

Crap. By the way - I'm "National Capital Presbytery"

Sarah said...

Massage? I'm sold. Haha!

BTW, I can't remember if I ever introduced myself way back when, but I found your blog back when you did the series about 2 kids under 2 and I think it was ParentDish? who linked you. I've been reading ever since. :D I get nervous leaving comments though on stranger's blogs because I don't want them to think I'm some weirdo stalking them or anything so I don't know if I ever commented before recently. LOL!

Sarah @ http://sydneylouwho.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Rob - I figured it out! :)

Sarah - I'm weird - having a stalker would just make me feel popular. Stalk away! Welcome to the party!

Jenn - didn't want you to feel left out of the shout outs. HEY!

Amy