Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"I am so sick of these mf'ing prudes on this mf'ing plane...."

In my 3+ years of (continuous) nursing, I have only been told to move once (in St. Thomas, I thought I wrote about that experience, but I can't find the post right now). I have nursed all over the world, quite literally, and at such famous locations as the Smithsonian, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and just about everywhere else I've been. That should give you a very accurate picture of my views on breastfeeding in public. In fact, my whole attitude is, "It's a food source, not a sex object, and if you have a problem with me feeding my child you're a prude and a perv and you need to STFU and go away before I hurt you."

And so I love love love this article about how to breastfeed on a plane. I think it should be required reading for all pregnant women, new mothers, new fathers, and anyone else who has an opinion on breastfeeding, flying, babies, or filthy airline blankets.

Interfering with someone's right to breastfeed her child is a violation of her human rights. Bottom line. Preach it, sister! Great post. Great topic. Discuss.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Having nursed the last two kids I have never been asked to move or been given a look of digust. My prepped line in response to this possible scenario would be "I don't bother you while your eating now do I. By the way that is what they are made for."

I do however have a question for a seasoned BF mother. D is 13 months and eats table food like a 6 year old. So obviously my supply is diminishing. We nurse for 2 naps, bed time, and first thing in the am. I am worried that I am drying up tho. Any suggestions? He shows no interest in stopping as T did when she was 14 months (broke my heart.) I welcome any advise you have. THANKS!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so in agreement here. Only once in all my years of nursing was I asked to move by uncomfortable patrons at a cafe -- and it made me feel just terrible, like I was doing something wrong. That's ass! Move along yourselves, complainers!