Thursday, September 18, 2008

New Rule

Can we agree on something, as a culture? Can we agree that there is nothing appropriate about talking on a cell phone while you're in a public restroom, and refrain from doing it? Please? Because it grosses me out.

I have been known to talk on the phone (usually with Mimi) and go to the bathroom at the same time, but only when I'm at home.

There is something so creepy about public bathroom cell phone usage, and I can't put my finger on what it is... Is it that most cell phones have cameras? Is it just that an important privacy boundary is being crossed? Is it that it's ok for someone who is also making bathroom sounds to hear me making bathroom sounds, but once they're opening up a line of communication to the outside world of people who are not currently engaged in making bathroom sounds, some line is crossed?

I don't know, but it completely creeps me out. So please, don't do it. Ever. Public bathrooms should be a cell phone free zone.

8 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Think you've got it bad? Try standing at a urinal and having some guy start talking to you - only he's not. The detriment of Bluetooth means that you can use your hands to "business" and still not stop doing... well business.

There is a rule already in mens rooms that you don't talk to the guy next to you. That rule has gotten fuzzy because of Bluetooth!

strwberrryjoy said...

Boo to the stall calls.

Opus #6 said...

Ew! I agree, that's yuck!

Have the T-shirt said...

I always hope they'll drop the phone in :P

Anonymous said...

My boss told me his wife has a rule that all things that go in the bathroom must have the capability to be sterilized. She doesn't want anything in there that can't be thrown away. So, no laptops, no books and I bet cell phones are on her list too. My boss has a blackberry that we call "crackberry" for obvious reasons. I imagine he is breaking her rule with this one. I'm going to have to call him out on this one.

Anonymous said...

As long as we are agreeing on things as a culture, can we make breastfeeding in public places illegal as well?

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I don't need or want someone living in a different city or state hearing me pee!

Heather Bungard-Janney said...

To anonymous:
Compare A: Talking on the phone in a public restroom, while urinating
to B: Nursing baby, phone or no phone.

I'm curious to see how you manage to draw a parallel between melons and wrinkly prunes (I was going to say "apples and oranges", but that's just so cliche). Or is it melons and muffins? I just don't know.

Oh, but now I'm hungry for breakfast.