Monday, September 29, 2008

Look-Alike Dolls, Creepy or Cute?

I got a very compelling catalog from a company called My Twinn (I HATE intentional misspellings!). For the low-low-low price of almost $200 (eep!) they will make a doll that looks just like your kid.

I thought that Mary Grace was just at the right age for such a thing, so I "constructed" her online, right down to the freckle underneath her right eye, and told BJ, "Hey, I found Mary Grace's Christmas gift!" via chat...

His reply: Creepy!

I assured him that it wasn't for him, and he said, "Yeah, but I still have to live in the same house with it!"

So, Brilliant and Beloved Readers, what say you?

8 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

I vote creepy. What happens with the dog bites the head off of the MG-doll? I would imagine that nightmares ensue.

I say get a cute Cabbage Patch and aim for two matching outfits, rather than a matching face.

My two cents. :o)

Heather Bungard-Janney said...

I voted other: waste of money, AND she wants a pony anyway. Get her a rag doll with the same color yarn as her hair, and she'll think it's close enough.

Unknown said...

I think these are fascinating! Just like you though, I HATE that spelling. ICK!

Brandon Stenger said...

Yeah, you could make some creepy clone of MG just like all the other moms do, or you could go for something more original. Get the doll, but have a goatee put on and tell MG it's her Evil Twinn doll.

Think about it.

Anonymous said...

I voted other: creepy and a waste of money. Put that $200 bucks away for Disney :)

Brandi said...

We bought knock off American Girl Dolls and our girls didn't know the difference. They also didn't play with them 5 months later. Unless she is really really really into dolls I wouldn't do it. Plus how are you gonna feel when your $200 gets dragged by the hair or gets dropped in the potty cus 'she had to go' that would make me batty!

Anonymous said...

I voted other: Creepy, and tad egocentric. Remember mini me from Austin Powers? Enough said..

Anonymous said...

My mother in law gave my daughter one of those for her third birthday.. a couple of weeks later I found the doll in the guestroom with a blanket over it.. when I asked Erin why, she said "She just gives me the CREEPS!!"...

Don't think I'd recommend them.. and by the way, they can be very realistic. When Erins was sitting in a chair and I walked by the room, I had to look twice to see if it was the doll!!